Anyone tried Auto Air Colors?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen great work done with this paint, albeit done with paint guns....

Anyone tried it? Can you get it in rattlecans from their dealers I wonder? Online it just shows squeezie bottles that you need to mix and put in a paint gun.

No replies yet...

Ok, then...what's your favorite rattlecan paint? I'm looking to get some custom-mixed. I'm a little clueless on where to go. Will an auto parts/paint store like Napa custom-mix it for you?

i would go to a auto paint shop instead of a normal parts store. you can get a better selection of colors and put in spray cans.. kinda pricy!

I don't live in the U.S. so I can't answer your questions about dealers or stores, but I can give you a tip on good quality rattlecan paint. I have used Motip, and they come in plenty of colours. I doubt that you'd need to get any custom mixed, just order from their colour chart. This might not be of any help at all, since I'm not sure if Motip are sold in the U.S. but here's a link to their webpage in case you want to check it out: http://www.motip.com

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

jon said:
i would go to a auto paint shop instead of a normal parts store. you can get a better selection of colors and put in spray cans.. kinda pricy!

Well, from Googling around I found a family-owned-and-operated auto body shop walking distance from my house. :lol: Sounds like the exact type of place my father-in-law back in Chicago (a body man) told me to go to. They do custom paint and collision repair....think they'll mix me up a couple cans for like $20 each? :)

http://www.stlouisautobody.com/

Another paint option im considering, is to pick up some "Montana" graffiti spray paint. Its a little spendy. but good quality paint and comes in some AMAZING colors you can't usually get from the usual suspects- krylon, rustoleum, etc etc-
http://www.mtncolors.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.4/.f

depends on what colors you pick.......some of the toners can get really pricey
when i did my wifes typhoon the light pink i mixed came out to about $15 and the purple i used came out to about $45(my boss owed me any how so i didnt have to pay) and you might want to check if its going to be in a rattle can or if its a 2k(or single stage) if its single stage youll just need some reducer if its a 2 part youll need (aside from the base) reducer,clear,and catalyst of the clear and a way to shoot it

I've painted my red bike and my first leaf spring bike with those paints. I also did a two motorcycle gas tanks with them. They work ok, but you have to use a urethane clearcoat over them. Their appearance is pretty grainy, but when you get the clear on it's cool. They are finiky with drying times and it takes 2-3 times as long to paint the same panel as it would with conventional paints. However, they're non toxic and clean up with water. That's the main reason I use them.

Quanah said:
annika, here's a sprayer that uses compressed air, (bike pump), for paint and other liquids. Use automotive paint and shoot your custom mixed colors. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... 516&KICKER

That's really cool! I wonder how long you can spray before recharging.

Still looking at various paint options. I was going to go to the local body shop this Friday and inquire about paints and/or suppliers...I'm not overly concerned about which brand I use, I just want it to look great and I don't want to get gypped on the price just because I'm clueless! :lol:

ive pretty much only used ppg when i was a painter(if you go the ppg route)
use theyre toners and reducers but get the omni clear...its over half the price(but still made by ppg just theyre cheap line)and it holds up really well also which is a plus for bikes.only draw back is if you are planning on color sanding it and buffing it sands fine but even with a polisher running at almost 1800 rpms it takes forever to get 2000 grit scratches out.....
if you want to try shooting it yourself check harbor freight......they have really cheap hvlp guns...if youre just planning on bikes this will pay for itself in no time
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=46719
and theyre normally on sale for about $20

My reaction is kinda late but ill post it anyways :D

I use autoaircolors for complete re=sprays and for airbrush work.

i use there basecoats and colors ... and clear them with a urethane clearcoat.

i think the result look great ..

this is a rim i did recently:
DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

Oso said:
My reaction is kinda late but ill post it anyways :D

I use autoaircolors for complete re=sprays and for airbrush work.

i use there basecoats and colors ... and clear them with a urethane clearcoat.

i think the result look great ..

I think so too! Wow. So how to do you apply....compressor and air gun? I am planning to do this in my garage....and want the best possible results you can get from a DIY-garage-paint job. :lol: I have a compressor and have an auto body paint gun I can borrow...

I just want to remind you to wear a good respirator when you are doing any spray painting. Don’t depend on a simple dust mask. When you decide to use aerosol cans or spray gun . . . even the non-toxic Auto Air Colors . . . please don’t let any of the fumes into your lungs. I wear my cartridge-type resperator even when I’m doing a small air-brush job, and I’m usually surprised by how strong the solvents smell when I take my mask off. Bikes are nice, but a healthy body is much better! :wink:
Have a great day and God bless you!
Mark <><

Latest posts

Back