Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a grocery store chain, and we just recently converted a store to a new name, format, price structure, etc. So they have needed my help there and not much time to get stuff done. But I did throw a 20" on the front and it brought the angle right where I needed it. I was going to cut the fork down, but this 20" is a good candidate for paint, plus I wanted something a little wider up front so the 20 x 1.95 will probably stay.

man i have had my tall bike in progress for forever now,and this makes me want to get to working :mrgreen:

masterpoop63 said:
man i have had my tall bike in progress for forever now,and this makes me want to get to working :mrgreen:
What style are you building. Or just throw out some pics of what you have so far. Whenever I find two decent mtn. bikes for free again I'm going to build another one like my silver one. I take it on a riding trail here because I can change gears and get up a little speed, and it would be nice to have one like it for my girlfriend or friends to ride with me.

Great we've got almost every coast covered by someone...just need a gulf coast builder now. Welcome Kev. Post some pics before this thread gets to boring and we lose our audience. Ive got a few to post but waiting for this spray paint to freeze dry is just killing me. My six day week turned into a seven day and theres been a family emergency at my dojang (karate school), so Ive been trying to help out there a bunch. Im hoping to get some build therapy this weekend and go check out a big sale at Petri bikes on Sat.
fork.jpg

Well the forks are finally assembled and welded. Man! what a job that was keeping everything lined up without a jig. I did some tacking and then put the wheel on to make sure everything was still plum. After 16 welds, Im very happy with the end result. All the welds were kept on the underside of each plate so when flipped over you wont see them.
deedledorf7.jpg
deedledorf6.jpg
deedledorf3.jpg

That's a fine lookin fork ya got there. Not a deathtrap deluxe like mine. I've been stalled. Weather is great, but work and other issues that come along with owning a home have stolen my attention for a while.

I know what you mean. Ive got 3 cars in the driveway that all need different attention, and a faucet to replace in the bathroom. Oh and dont forget that water heater thats been acting up lately. Just glad Im not at a crisis with anything yet, although thats usually when I get it done. :roll:

I like when on the day before you are going to have your state inspection done on your car, the engine light pops on. Ah, coolant temp sensor, why did you wait until today?

TommyTwoTime said:
Last look before I chop off the rest of the front end of this beast. Headtube and downtube are all thats left on the frame constuction, then I get to start playing with accessories. Another seven day work week! This is really starting to harsh my mellow.
deedle1.jpg
WHOA!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TommyTwoTime said:
Last look before I chop off the rest of the front end of this beast. Headtube and downtube are all thats left on the frame constuction, then I get to start playing with accessories. Another seven day work week! This is really starting to harsh my mellow.
deedle1.jpg

I love the fork and that 36" wheel/tire!! Looks like it's going to be a beauty!!

I'm trying to decide if I have the energy to build another tall bike after just finishing one... In the mean time here's a video of my recently stolen/recovered double decker in action, wait until the end of the video for pictures of other tall bikes I've built over the last 4 years.
http://www.vimeo.com/20085270
Rick

Back