Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

That's looking good JAke, your dad's bike too! Did you find a bigger top tube or you went with what you had?

I'm still behind everyone by quite a bit, hopefully a full day tomorrow will catch me up some...
Metal came yesterday while i was out. Started rolling this morning, ERW rolls 100% easier than cromo.
I changed things around some, I was nervous the rear chain stays would not been strong enough, after all the other problems I decided to go this way, if nothing else it eats up all the metal I had laying around here :)
mocked and in the jig
Contestmusclebikerough_zpsb364016c.jpg

her she is only the plan table
musclebikecontestroughout_zpsa1eb1cea.jpg

some dropouts I made
dropoutsformusclebike_zps687081f2.jpg

Hopefully I can get this thing all tacked together tomorrow... oh, and she is not lite, no way, no how :) l0l.
60" axle to axle.
Rich

Wow Rich that is coming along beautifully!! I'm pretty amped to see it tacked up.

What size are the tubes you need Jake?

Thanks terry, I'm anxious to see it tacked up too, I put the dropouts on it temp before I left, they looked good.
When do we get some good shots of the paint on your build. I've wanted to try the spiderweb thing. I'm jeolous. :)

Rich

I have tomorrow off and a fresh can of paint. I also really need to use my decent camera this time around. The phone makes for garbage shots.

Measure it, than tell me how long it is...I maybe able to help you.

Rich

Wow Rich! That bike is looking awesome! Love the lines on it, flows really nice! The fat rims and Boa-G's suit it really well, they are the 57mm rims from 3G that RatRod set up?

Some more cool pics there Jake, that first one looks like a cool water colour painting, should be hung on a wall... :wink:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Wow Rich! That bike is looking awesome! Love the lines on it, flows really nice! The fat rims and Boa-G's suit it really well, they are the 57mm rims from 3G that RatRod set up?

Luke.
Well I borrowed the double top rail idea from your build, I was leary of using the single chainstays to hold the rear together. I just wanted to play it safe, in hindsight the singles would have worked good, these monsters aint breaking or bending no way, no how :)
Fat tires are the 57mm 3GBOA's, the rear anyway, I am gonnan use a 24" rim and tire on the front. I am not sure how I am gonna handle the different tire names yet...

I am looking forward to your next update, your fully custom bike, rims and all is a top notch build. :)

Rich

Well after seeing the progress of Rich, Jake and Terry I decided I had better do some work so I can update too! :D

Finished up the front wheel today, ended up fitting a sanding pad on the grinder and cleaning it up a fair bit, looking much better now, fitted up the hub tube and hub, gave it a spin on an old fork and it was actually pretty close to true, broke a couple of tacks and rewelded and it is now well within my tolerances, it is actually probably straighter than the rear wheel!

DSC00248 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00250 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Still not sure if I like the look of it yet, going to have to paint it and mock it on the bike before I decide if it stays or I change to a normal rim on the front and aero discs on the back.
I have to admit, it does look good when it is spinning... 8)

DSC00249 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Also got the bottom bracket and crank axle widened and fitted, took more effort than expected because I found out bottom brackets are not always central on the bike, dont ask me why, I dont know, ended up having to make one side 1/8inch longer than the other to get the axle centred to the frame, turned out really nice in the end. Still have to find two matching sprockets among my junk pile for the dual drive, sorry no photo yet, it was quite dark by the time I finished. I will get photos in the coming days.

Luke.

Peatbog said:
bigfatcat said:
I have tomorrow off and a fresh can of paint.

Something funny about that right there.

Gotta keep myself "entertained." :mrgreen:

LukeTheJoker said:
I'm really diggin these wheels. Super cool!

I wound up not painting, but I did keep myself busy today.
Made some silly huge ape hangers. Definitely need to make a brace toward the top. They're way too bouncy.
image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I'm also not really diggin the purple rims. Pretty sure I'm going to strip everything down and start from scratch (frame and wheels wise.)

bigfatcat said:
Peatbog said:
bigfatcat said:
I have tomorrow off and a fresh can of paint.

Something funny about that right there.

Gotta keep myself "entertained." :mrgreen:

LukeTheJoker said:
I'm really diggin these wheels. Super cool!

I wound up not painting, but I did keep myself busy today.
Made some silly huge ape hangers. Definitely need to make a brace toward the top. They're way too bouncy.
image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I'm also not really diggin the purple rims. Pretty sure I'm going to strip everything down and start from scratch (frame and wheels wise.)

looks ...... i.m.o ;)
keep it as is!!
Jake

Luke has a hot set of wheels, that is for sure. I am really looking forward to seeing the whole bike done :mrgreen: 8)

Terry I agree with Jake, I like the purple. make the rest of the bike match, well thats another story UI am sure... but the purple is cool.

You guys are keeping me away from all the other things I should be doing... but this is a whole lot of fun, and I will probably not be able to donate so much time in the future so I might as well sneak it in now.

Rear dropouts
musclebikereardropouts_zps04a9438b.jpg

front dropouts
musclebikefrontdropouts_zps778405ec.jpg

Sideview
sideviewmusclebike_zps09ce3bdf.jpg

3 quarterview
musclebikethreequarterview_zps340f1e5e.jpg

Most parts all in, still need todo the head tube, then finish up the front forks, they are almost ready, worked on them this afternoon, All morning spent tacking and lining up the frame... Thank god for all the clamps!!! What an effort!
Hopefully tomorrow she is a roller.

You guys are not makiong this easy on me. :wink:

Rich

Thanks jake and lucas! This has been a fun one for sure!

RichL said:
Terry I agree with Jake, I like the purple. make the rest of the bike match, well thats another story UI am sure... but the purple is cool.

Rear dropouts
musclebikereardropouts_zps04a9438b.jpg

front dropouts
musclebikefrontdropouts_zps778405ec.jpg

Those dropouts came out SWEEEEET! Very Batman vibe. Diggin em big time.

I'm making my way to the paint store friday to see what I can do to color match or at least slightly alter the purple. I unfortunately ran out of what I was working with and I'm not waiting another 11 days to get more. In the mean time I brazed up a 4.5' sissy bar out of some copper I had around.
photo1.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put some bracing in as I don't think it'll be the strongest thing to support the back of the seat. Either way I've finally got a steeple style I've always loved on choppers!

Thanks a lot Lucas, and Terry.
Terry, somewhere on that sissy bar you need an Iron Cross, Don't lean on it and you will be fine :shock:

Rich

Back