Anyway to make this bend better?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bought this old schwinn yesterday. I knew it had the bend before i bought it(these pictures are from the pics he sent me)

I dont know if i should either leave it alone or try to bend it back, i just dont want to make it worse.
20090622154007.jpg

20090622153957.jpg

20090622153949.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Theres another problem ill have to share with you guys later...something about the kickstand

Hard to say what the damage is like without holding it in your hands. The pictures doesn't do it justice but it looks like a few bends and dents in the tube.I can't imagine what it took to get this way. Makes you wonder how it effected the rest of the frame. If it was mine and only quessing at the damage I would be tempted to drill small holes opposite the dents in such a way that I could slip in a drift pin and drive it back into shape through the hole. I would think it would take small hand held anvils from the fender knockers and also a few extra hands to help. A little here and a little there well placed adjustments and maybe a mallet might bring it back close enough for a little bondo. I think the object would be is to try to push the tube round (maybe carefully with some vice grips) and then into position. Sounds risky huh? Be the tube! . Or maybe your screwed! If it was mine I'd be screwed too!
Sensor has a plan too!

IMMHO

GL

Sensor has the right idea.

Use a stud gun to pull the low spot in the tube. Then use hammer and dolly to work the kink, finishing with a file.

Then I would try flipping the frame over and whack the crap out of the canti tubes with a rubber mallet to get the arc back in it.

Latest posts

Back