are four speeds nexus' that sought after?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one and i like it, but i know its dang hard to find parts for. . .or even a whole hub! but are these really that rare ? i got a call from a good friend of mine asking if he should pick up this cruiser with a four speed, course i told him to grab it and run, but are these just that rare? thanks!

No they suck! the gearing is so close on 3rd and 4th that you will wonder
why they added that extra gear. Then you have to run a really small front
sprocket to make them useable at all. They discontinued them for a reason
the three speed will out perform them. This is just my opinion though. :roll:

I'm a Sturmey Archer 3 Speed guy from way back - had two 50s boys Hercules in the 60s. Nothing will ever replace those old English bikes w/ the SA Hubs and changers.(Still have two) But I also have a Dyno Motoglide w/ the Nexis 4 Speed and there is two things that I really like about it - I love the way the gear changer operates back and forth and also the fact that you can change gears up or down without letting up on the pedals - very cool! Robert

I have a 2001 Schwinn Cruiser 4 and Uncle Stretch is right about them being hard to ride. I like the bike for flat trails, family riding but I wouldn't take on a pub crawl.

I like the old 3 speeds, Shimano and the Sturmy. Found out how to use them and make the bike realy move out. who needs a 4 or 8 or even an 11 speed internal. 3 is fine.

well ...., now i feel bad for loving my four speed. then again it is the only internal gear ive ever owned. . .ridden. :roll:

I love the Nexus 7 I have on Flex-Liner 7 and I also really like the Nexus 8 I have on my Dahon Mu folding bike.

Uncle Stretch said:
...the three speed will out perform them.

I just got one on a Felt Chief I traded for. I love the way it rides and shifts but it seems like there is a huge gap between 2nd and third somehow. More than there ought to be. I have never changed sprockets or anything like that on a bike and my only 3sp exp. is on a SA hub and those gears seem closer together, more natural somehow. Is there something I can do to get the Nexus running 'closer'. I hope my ? made some sense. thanks for any advice, sorry to hijack a thread with this.

Have a question guys.
I have two newer bikes that I ride all the time. One is an 18 speed and one is a 7 speed. After I rode the 7 speed for a while I realized that the low gear on it ls like 6th gear on the 18 speed. No real Low Gear. In other words I am working too hard in 1st gear just for a slow cruise.
Now I am hooked on a 50's Schwinn. I want to install a gear change hub on rear. Which one do you guys suggest? I like a low gear but also like a mid high Gear also.
Any Suggestions on best options?

if it's a derailleur bike with a freewheel, invest in a Shimano megarange freewheel. it has a whopping 34 tooth low gear, which should be plenty low for climbing. Most 7 speed only have a 28 tooth low gear. 8)

I have that MegaRange freewheel on my winter bike, paired with a 44T front, and 26x1.75" snow tires. That has pretty much all the low gear I can use without going mountain biking. The combination isn't overly fast, but fast on snow isn't necessarily wise... The MegaRange is a good choice if you need low range, and it's pretty inexpensive too.

Latest posts

Back