Are These Hub Parts Worn Out??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, I tore into my Bendix manual 2-speed hub today. Everything seemed to be in great condition except the two pieces shown below. I can't say I know the proper names for them but, what I can say is that one of them looks to have a good bit of wear. Can I get away with reusing them or am I going to need to track down some replacements?

Bendix2speed1.jpg

Bendix2speed2.jpg

In the part diagram they are listed as part MS-22.

0b5242225a0953dce33b309f3425a6e2.jpg

Being as one is in good shape and the other a bit worn, I would look harder at the taper on the expanders, as they are obviously pushing one shoe much harder than the other. I'm no expert on these though, but even on a single speed if the shoes looked like that I might check the threading and alignment on the expander. Yours are ms-6 and ms-33. I thought these models had a small spring with a ring and tabs to help everything return to normal after braking but I don't see one in your diagram. Had that been the case I would have said to look at the spring for wear.

Get a Dremel with a narrow silicone carbide cut-off wheel and cut new grooves in the worn pad. Fixed! :p Gary

I see, brake shoes, that does make sense. A guy on the CABE said he has NOS shoes, if that deal doesn't work out I'll either just cut new grooves or just say forget it and go with a New Departure or Bendix single speed. This 2 speed setup does seem to be wuite the cats meow I thought it would be.

Well I never actually road the bike it was installed on so I can't say for sure but, I can definitely see myself reinstalling these and having a problem. I don't want to have to pull this thing apart again.

Back