article

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“I think it’s a sin when people get an old bike and strip it for parts when they had a good bike that could still work,” he said.

did he really say that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and now he's a Ratter....maybe that was one of the editing mistakes hey new dharma.. :lol:

That comment was about people who take complete vintage bikes in excellent shape and sell off ALL parts (including frame)...seen this on eBay too many times...
plus, most rat-rods are ridden! I've taken a bike that didn't have all the origional parts (and knew it would cost more to get the origional parts than the bike is worth!) and turned it into a RR...usually I traded parts from the bike I didn't want/need (people are almost always looking) for something I could use

it's sad that some bikes, like some cars, are worth more as parts...

Cool article new_dharma, I'd go out of my way to visit a bike shop like that.

it's sad that some bikes, like some cars, are worth more as parts...

This is something I've often thought about. As much as I love the custom and hot-rodded stuff, it seems wrong to me to take a bike or car that has survived many decades intact, and pull it apart to make a couple of more dollars.

When the originals are gone, they're gone for good.

Of course some people are far more passionate about money rather than bikes, cars or the history attached to them, so essentially destroying a mint original for profit won't keep them awake at night.

Now, I do understand that a person is free to do anything they want to the bikes they own, but sometimes it's worth looking past the dollars.

Just my 2 cents worth - This is a subject that has been covered ad nauseam in just about every collector hobby - soooo I'll just get off my soapbox now :roll:

-Mp

I agree Multipass..I have posted that exact sentiment a few times myself here on the forum...

and new dharma..I was poking a joke. :lol: hope I didn't come across and a jerk!

in fact...as a small business owner myself..( I left a Government Facility Job as a Journeyman Painter that payed $65,000.00 a year with full benefits ) to start my own company...and I'm happy now!

You ,my friend, are living the dream.To take a leap and buy up all those bikes and do what you love.

so, on that note...hats off to you and a great article as well..

Peace,
Kev.

Very cool article indeed!

I knew a kid named Mike Kangas when I was growing up in Michigan. He was adopted. He was an awesome ice speed skater.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

K00L article indeed. I am sure that you'll have no trouble making a profit on your investment...and hopefully doing something you enjoy too. Cheers!

I too hate to see good ridable see bikes parted out on ebay.... :(

Wow...I'm glad you cleared that up....I think those ski masks could evolve into a great horror movie...picture: a demented gradma knitting a full body suit and mask for her disfigured grandson Jason who lives in the basement crawl space......
Or how 'bout some psycho Rat rod Bikers riding into a small town wearing those masks and terrorizing the town folk....especially the farmers daughters....hehe
15860satan.jpg

Back