Assemble front hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20150217_181248.jpeg
FrontHub.jpeg
fronthubonfork.jpeg

In the top picture you see how what I call a dust cover is loose. How is that held in place?
In the middle picture this is the parts of my front hub. Are they laid out in order of how they go on the axle. I know the hub is not in picture.
In the bottom picture...loose dust cover.

that's a good question I have had similar problems usually I just add a washer and it fixes the problem but im not guaranteeing it will work in this case. but might be worth a shot
Sean

It should press into the hub after the bearings are installed. Put the bearing in, put the dust cover over it. Then push or tap in with a rubber mallet or place a small piece of wood over it and give it a soft tap with a hammer. The shoulders of the dust cover should be a snug fit into the wall of the hubs inside edge over the bearing.

Knurling (gouging the outside with a chisel or other sharp tool to raise the metal in places), if pressing it in with a rubber mallet doesn't work or a washer. I have an old Schwinn wheel that does this and I haven't bothered to fix it yet as the axle is also all stripped. I'll get to it someday.

Knurling (gouging the outside with a chisel or other sharp tool to raise the metal in places), if pressing it in with a rubber mallet doesn't work or a washer. I have an old Schwinn wheel that does this and I haven't bothered to fix it yet as the axle is also all stripped. I'll get to it someday.
Are all of you saying that this "dust cover" was originally a friction fit into the end of the hub?

some are a friction fit to the hub, others a friction fit to the cone.

Back