Atom Brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well here goes nothing, I never tore one apart before, and well this will be the rat version vs go buy new parts....cause I'm cheap!!!!
101_9406.jpg

Here's the problem linings came loose from the shoes, it had been sitting along time and moisture came between the two,
101_9407.jpg

Sanded the inside of the linings and the outside of the shoes to create a clean surface to bond to.
101_9408.jpg

This far as I got with the Gorilla glue to let dry for a couple of hours
101_9409.jpg

AND THEN!!!! a slight interuption ..... As I heard the CHP airplane circling above and heard sirens, this blocked off the highway
101_9410.jpg

101_9411.jpg

101_9412.jpg

Driver ok top heavy load, to fast and telephone pole isn't looking too good , Did I mention this is a 35mph zone :shock:

Not so sure about G-glue holing up under the heat of braking, but, its done, so we will eagarly be waiting a trials report. There are easy to use 'glues' Ive heard of that will take a lot of heat and some automotive shops (maybe your NAPA, a truck place or even a tractor shop) have brake bonding stuff on hand. It used to be more commonly done before this age of 'buying everything'.
For something like this I would use worm drive hose clamp(s) to conform all to the curvature.

Well got her back together and I had a bit of dremel & razorblade work involved cleaning up the glue but it all worked out it rubs slightly but it will wear once i get a bit of use on it as far as heat I would have to get some serious braking in to get that hot, and I worked at Napa for quite a number of years and the only thing I remember carrying would be the pad silencer, shoe bonding is just so obsolete anymore. That gorilla glue is some tough stuff I ain't scared. The pads are evenly clamped but one is shorter than the other, just waiting on a couple other items and this bike will be done.
101_9413.jpg

101_9414.jpg

101_9415.jpg

101_9416.jpg

Latest posts

Back