Axel lenght question - going from multe speed to single

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building up a bike that was multi-speed before and am now wanting to make it a single speed. I was test fitting a rear wheel from a junk cruiser I have and the axle is too short to get the nuts on. How do i measure for that and what do I look for on a new rim when I go to buy one? What is the trick to it?

Is it for the Schwinn that you are building? You should be able to use almost any road bike wheel. Measure your old one if you still have it to guide you on the size you need.. I sent you a reply on the PM you sent me.. Good luck.!!!

Measure the inside width of the dropouts from one to the other, measure the width of the dropouts themselves (2X), and measure the with of the nuts and washers 2X each). Add them all up and you have the minimum axle length.

Reset the frame to the correct width or space the hub out. It all still adds up to some simple measurements and first grade math.

The way I do it without bending the frame...

Swap the axles from the multi hub to the single hub.

Use axle spacers.

Thats the way I did it on my Varsity fixie.

Just squeeze the rear triangle together until you have the correct spacing. That was what I had to do for my Wretched build.
Go slow to get it even.

Back