axel size?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a parts bike on craigs list and looks like the front axel is too big for the forks with truss, is there a way to corect this?

I have swapped the axle from an older rim with small axle and put them into a rim from a modern bike that had a larger axle in order to use an aluminum mtb rim onto older spade forks. The parts dont always swap but some will.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I put a smaller 5/16 axle in this front rim in order to fit the spade fork.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I bought a parts bike on craigs list and looks like the front axel is too big for the forks with truss, is there a way to corect this?

You probably have a fork designed for 5/16" axles, and your new wheel probably has either a 3/8" or 9mm axle. What I'd do is file the axle where it meets the fork's ends; file 2 sides flat, directly across from each other.

Now, you might also mean that you have a fork spaced at 91mm but your new hub is spaced at 100mm, in which case you can either spread the fork to accept it, or see if there are any washers/spacers between the jam-nut and the cone that you can remove to narrow things down a bit....

yep its a 100 MM hub going to have to spread the fork a little going to look for some thiner jam-nuts or sand some down, the rear axle/Hub fit fine no problems there.

Latest posts

Back