Axle (bolt) diameter too big for front fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question alert.

Ok, I picked up a set of 26" rims off of CL from a more modern cruiser... The front rim's axle bolt is too big to fit in the front fork on my late 50's Evans Interceptor... IT's close, but...

My question... Should I get a new axle ? Is that easy to swap out? How much do those run? OR would it hurt to slightly file or grind the fork so that I can fit the bigger axle in there?

thanks for info...

Triggerfish said:
Newbie question alert.

Ok, I picked up a set of 26" rims off of CL from a more modern cruiser... The front rim's axle bolt is too big to fit in the front fork on my late 50's Evans Interceptor... IT's close, but...

My question... Should I get a new axle ? Is that easy to swap out? How much do those run? OR would it hurt to slightly file or grind the fork so that I can fit the bigger axle in there?

thanks for info...
i've bought a new axle bolt before and it was fairly easy and the bolt was like 5 bucks and i also have filed down the fork which was way easier with a dremel tool, but be carefull not to file too much.

Wow. thank you for all the info. The fork is a little narrow. I may take a slivvvver off of it and then flat spot the axle as suggested. That wheel's goin' on tomorrow!

Stuart

Yay! Thanks:

DSCN3266.jpg

Back