Babies new shoes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
after searching for what seemed like forever for a pair of usable S-5 white walls for my 71 Racer, Our very own ChrisMac kicked me down some NOS ones!!! (thanx bud I owe you large)
I was ecstatic and mounted them up only to discover someone had cut about 2 inches of the cords off the bead wire when they were unwrapping them 40+ years ago... the sidewall promptly blew out.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

not to be denied my undoubtedly one and only chance at set like this, I decided I would attempt some old school needle and thread tire repair.. I used a small half moon needle and some #25 nylon fishing braid, slathered in 3M trim adhesive.

I am glad to report that the patient has made a full recovery and is back on the job at maximum pressure!! :mrgreen:

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03896.jpg

DSC03897.jpg

DSC03898.jpg

Nice work on your tire. Thanks for sharing that on my build thread, I will let you know how the OCC StingRay tire fix turns out.

Kinda hate to bum you and all, but that repair is really only suitable for display only. And even then not at full pressure.

The fabric used for bicycle tires is not actually woven, it is a unidirectional layer of thread folded around the bead so that the inside & outside cross at 45 degrees. If the original threads are cut, it cannot really be "fixed" by additional sewing like normal fabric can, because there's no cross-threads for your own stitches to run through.

DougC said:
Kinda hate to bum you and all, but that repair is really only suitable for display only. And even then not at full pressure.

The fabric used for bicycle tires is not actually woven, it is a unidirectional layer of thread folded around the bead so that the inside & outside cross at 45 degrees. If the original threads are cut, it cannot really be "fixed" by additional sewing like normal fabric can, because there's no cross-threads for your own stitches to run through.

ya thats kinda what I thought, but I been bangin potholes with it all week at 65psi .... :roll:

Back