RRBBO13 Back In(B) The Day: Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool tires. Are the reflective strips also white, or is that mostly reflectivity?

Cool tires. Are the reflective strips also white, or is that mostly reflectivity?
The strips have a silver color. I took this pic without a flash, so this is what you get.
022.JPG

These come in solid black, black with cream sidewall, black with gray and green tread with white sidewall. Looking back, I wish I had gotten the gray sidewalls. I have heard that you can peel the reflective strip. Not sure what you will be left with though.

Bare frame looks pretty good. Almost an OD green to the front half. I wonder if Worksman pickles the frames after they braze everything together.
026.JPG
027.JPG
028.JPG
029.JPG

I noticed that only 1 of the chainguard tabs are brazed on. The other two are actually welded. I'll finish removing those this weekend.
Now I just need to strip the fork.

Has Worksman always brazed their frames, and are they still doing it ? I can't remember how old this one is that you are using.

Coming along good HM....a great time to clean and service that sturmey!!...let us know how it looks inside. Be very careful re-assembling it. Any mistake could kill it...

Those are nice tyres, hope they fit in the frame!
There are some great tutorials online, and instructions from Sturmey Archer themselves. Just keep an eye on the pawl springs, they can be hard to find on a dirty workshop floor!

That looks good nekkid

"....how to paint my new rims..." Or maybe, 'not paint'...? :bigsmile:

I dig the vibe you have with the raw frame and those fenders are a great look with it. Are the rims black or silver?

I had been thinking of keeping the frame bare metal when I first got it. It will take more work to even out the front and rear sections.

The rims are black Velocity Blunt 35s. I hear these are pretty popular with the TOC guys due to the rim profile. Velocity even produced these for a while with a wood grain pattern on them, if that gives you a clue on how I was thinking about painting them.

Last edited:
Nice fender work. Those Velocity rims are gonna look sweet too.

Back