Bad bearing race, is the hub shot?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out why the hub was grinding. This hub must have been run dry at some point and overheated, some metal was sheared off the back of the cage and welded itself to the cone and the part of the hub where the cage slides along. Is there a clever way to save this, or is it time to junk it?

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

just to avoid confusion if you're calling around looking for parts- a 'race' is a surface a bearing rides on. what you have in your hand in the lower photos is the remains of a 'caged bearing'- in bike shops these are more commonly called a 'bearing retainer'.

no big deal, just might help speed up the parts search....... :D

in simple words from experience, yes. both the bearing and the race are no good. ive tried running one that was shot as bad as yours before (well i didnt know) and i went through 3 sets of bearing till i finally figured it out. sorry for the bad news, but it will just cause more hassle that its worth if it doesnt get fixed. :oops:

Bendix said:
just to avoid confusion if you're calling around looking for parts- a 'race' is a surface a bearing rides on. what you have in your hand in the lower photos is the remains of a 'caged bearing'- in bike shops these are more commonly called a 'bearing retainer'.

no big deal, just might help speed up the parts search....... :D

Very helpful. Thank you. New to working on bikes and I appreciate the assistance.

OK,

Does anyone have a Musselman driver they are willing to part with? Also, can any of you tell me what other brands Musselman made hubs for, so I can widen my search for a replacement driver? Are there any other brand drivers that I can swap in, like Bendix etc.?

Lucky Strike said:
OK,

Does anyone have a Musselman driver they are willing to part with? Also, can any of you tell me what other brands Musselman made hubs for, so I can widen my search for a replacement driver? Are there any other brand drivers that I can swap in, like Bendix etc.?

You are fortunate in that these aren't super rare. :wink: Parts shouldn't be too hard to find via this site, ebay, or thecabe...

I believe, but do not know with 100% certainty, that Musselman made the "Elgin" and "JC Higgins" branded hubs that sport the air cooling fins on the hub shell. There could be others, but I don't know of them.

Found out a super cool fact researching Musselman hubs. You probably already know this, but each hub was stamped with the initials of the guy who built it. So the letters stamped on my hub don't designate a model they designate the American craftsman, who assembled it, and took pride in his work.

Back