Bad Mechanics Files or How Not To

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread going on the sbf (before it got hacked) on some really bad bike repairs.

A new find. It almost worked. The guy said the pedal kept locking up as the outer nut would turn in while pedaling. A lock nut might have solved that problem. Cool is the guy used 2 hub cones pointed into the stripped out crank so the hub axle was centered. Well 3/8" hub axles aren't as thick as 9/16" pedal axles so pedaling hard would just bend it. No bearings. Most pedals don't have them anyhow. So many cheap box mart bike pedals are just plastic directly on the pedal shafts.

pedal.repair.street.style (1).JPG
pedal.repair.street.style (2).JPG
pedal.repair.street.style (3).JPG
pedal.repair.street.style (4).JPG

Sometimes I just stop and wonder, sure I can do this. But... why? Then I look at this piece
of mechanical artwork and think out loud, "Yes! THIS is why! DO IT! Conscience be darned!
Because I CAN, THAT'S WHY!!!" Some kid somewhere is saying, "Thanks Dad. You're the best."
and scratching round circles into the paint of parked cars with that threaded rod sticking out.

Back