Bait and Switch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I answered a CL listing for a Huffy Good Vibrations bike. I was interested in it mainly for parts.
001.JPG

I arranged a time to see it and when I got there the Huffy was sitting alongside of this:
003.JPG

004.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
A 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur. I think I dislocated my elbow reaching for my wallet when the seller offered it to me for $50. Very greasy and dirty, but at least someone was greasing it. The seat cover is toast. It should clean up fairly well.
By the way, that Huffy is really smooth.

Last edited:
That Schwinn is going to clean up very nice.

Watch those screenings on the frame though....they might fly right off with water. I'd spray Simple Green all over the grungy areas and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then blast it off.

That Schwinn is going to clean up very nice.

Watch those screenings on the frame though....they might fly right off with water. I'd spray Simple Green all over the grungy areas and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then blast it off.
Thanks, I was pretty heavy handed on my Boten bike, trying to get the spray bomb paint job off. I will try a kinder, gentler approach with this one.

I've had it go either way. I've had some Schwinn screenings be on tough enough to allow me to lightly run a towel with rubbing compound to make them bright white again and then I've had them evaporate with the slightest hint of water. Always best to start lightly and work you way up. :happy:

Nice bike.. Looks a little better than my yellow one I bought back in 1977 or 78.

Can you tell me what markings if any are on the rims and hubs? I have lost track of which rims go on which road bike and I'd like to get the correct rims on mine. (Heck, maybe even ride it again!)

Nice bike.. Looks a little better than my yellow one I bought back in 1977 or 78. Can you tell me what markings if any are on the rims and hubs? I have lost track of which rims go on which road bike and I'd like to get the correct rims on mine. (Heck, maybe even ride it again!)
No problem. I had to dig through the grime a little.
Rims are ARAYA 27 X 1 1/4 w/o HP.
Hubs are Shimano 333

HP stands for High Pressure...it means that these rims do not have the interlocking "hook" that most modern road wheels possess. In other words, don't exceed 80-90 PSI with these, or you'll risk blowing the tire off the bead.

Latest posts

Back