Balance help new bikerider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guys im currenly riding adult trikes and am 16 years old. I have ceribral palsy and want to ride a bicycle im wondering whats a good bike to learn on i was thinking about a micargi lowrider but do not know if its big enough for me (5 foot 11) i know krate style bikes are small yet can be ridden by adults and are good at balence? I was also thinking about a electra cruiser on because it and other cruiser style bikes are comfortable to sit on. So what im asking are eaither good? anything else you would recomend as a starter bike?

Wolfy,
I think you'd better off getting a used bmx, mountainbike or basic cruiser. You can find them cheap enough (or possibly free) and if they don't work out you're not out a bunch of money. Also if you drop the bike a scratch or two won't make you lose any sleep.
Low stretched bikes can sometimes be harder to take off on and some people do have balance problems until they get use to the out front pedaling. Definitely stay away from chopper style bikes until you get the hang of things.
Good luck on whatever bike you get and please keep us posted on what you end up with and your progress in riding. I have a friend with ceribral palsy and I'd like to pass this thread onto to him. I think you would definitely be an inspiration to many.
Chainsaw

Thanks for the advice i think i might bike-jack my sister and fix up the minor problems of her schwinn landmark. If your friend also has cp i recommend a schwinn meridian unless it affects his legsthen id recommend the schwinn regal(same with backrest/gearing) I got cp in 1 leg and can make due with a 1 speed on most hills.I dont think the electra im thinking of is the same one your thinking of its not a chopper i had it im mind because of there "flatfoot technology". I have been saving for 1 my local bike shop is EXPESIVE they specialize in specialize/haro/electra/high end mountain bikes for local trails.

I will also recommend a cheap mountain bike or a ladies cruiser. If you have a limited range of motion set the seat as high as you can and still feel relatively safe. If pedaling is difficult put a smaller sprocket on the front or a bigger one on the rear. As you've no doubt discovered from riding your trike the exercise and motion is great. I know it helped me with this knee.
1alegfront.jpg

An Electra Townie, Giant Suede or one of the other flat foot bikes would be worth looking at. Go down to you local bike shop and take a test ride. If you can't afford new, at least you know what they feel like when a good deal pops up on Craigslist.

I instruct adaptive snow skiing and have students with CP, Downs, and other disabilities. When you find a new bike, it is possible to adapt the bike until you get the balance part down. Adult training wheels would be one way, if you need that extra little help. They can be expensive but looks like Fatwheels has some reasonable options. http://www.fatwheels.com/products.html

The other option my be to look for a folding bike. The often have frames with lower bars and smaller wheels, but made for adults. You can even Rat them out. Here is a good example. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38010

008.jpg

I have a Krate style muscle bike and though I find it easy to ride, the springer fork and tall bars make it a little "twitchy." I love my mountain bikes, but the easiest ride is definitely a cruiser style bike. The bars are a little wider so steering takes less effort and steering corrections are smaller. A mountain bike usually has a straight fork, but most cruisers have a little bend to the fork, with a tiny bit of rake the bike tracks straighter, but if you start to add more rake and put the front tire futher out (chopper) then it gets real twitchy.

My dad recently found a cruiser for my mom, it's a LaJolla (walmart bike). Aluminum frame and decently lightweight, coaster brake. Very simple bike. He gave about $30 for it used and I have seen similar deals on the same used bike, but new ones are still sold in stores for about $100. The cool thing is that the women's bike is blue (men's is orange) so mom complains that this bike looks like a men's bike, but it's easy to step onto the frame. The best part is the front chainring is smaller than on most cruisers, making it easier to pedal, and ease of pedalling helps new riders.

Since it's just a coaster bike, this frame could easily be upgraded with nicer wheels/cranks/etc... if someone wanted to.

Just looked online and they don't have the female bike in a 26" anymore, but the men's 26" is $79.00 with free shipping to the store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-NEXT ... ke/4990073

I'd say stay away from tall handle bars at first for sure.
Also, I've been told that a great way for first timers to learn balance is to remove the pedals from the bike, then just scoot around. Your feet will be near the ground in case you need to put them down. It also lowers your center of gravity. You want to be able to coast until you can start slowing down without putting your feet down. Again, your feet will be near the ground in case your balance is off. Leaning on training wheels won't help you learn to balance unless they are adjusted up off the ground.
Hope this helps and all the best to you! Keep us posted on your progress, please.

motopsyco said:
I will also recommend a cheap mountain bike or a ladies cruiser. If you have a limited range of motion set the seat as high as you can and still feel relatively safe. If pedaling is difficult put a smaller sprocket on the front or a bigger one on the rear. As you've no doubt discovered from riding your trike the exercise and motion is great. I know it helped me with this knee.
1alegfront.jpg
I have a mtb thats technically mine but i promised it to my 8 yr old cousin gets it(i won it at a $5 raffle at hisblue and gold dinner. im thinking of getting a target cruiser should i dare say "schwinn"(not real schwinn that companys been dead i mean the chinese junk with schwinn badges). pedalling not to challenging my trikes a one speed and is 90 ibs :eek: im getting a schwinn "legacy" next week. Stepping over the frame is not a problem.

cman said:
An Electra Townie, Giant Suede or one of the other flat foot bikes would be worth looking at. Go down to you local bike shop and take a test ride. If you can't afford new, at least you know what they feel like when a good deal pops up on Craigslist.

I instruct adaptive snow skiing and have students with CP, Downs, and other disabilities. When you find a new bike, it is possible to adapt the bike until you get the balance part down. Adult training wheels would be one way, if you need that extra little help. They can be expensive but looks like Fatwheels has some reasonable options. http://www.fatwheels.com/products.html

The other option my be to look for a folding bike. The often have frames with lower bars and smaller wheels, but made for adults. You can even Rat them out. Here is a good example. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38010

008.jpg
Iv been around electras. There beutiful and even as i get a cheap bike im saving for a cruiser 1 :D big handlebars are o problem you should see the bars my meridian have on um.

hey just thought i may chime in here for a min.

my best friends brother in law has cerebral palsy not that i know much about it, but that it is a very debilitating. Mad props to you for being determined enough to try, let alone succeed. as foolish as this may sound ..... perhaps try at first to remove the cranks from your 2 wheeler. whatever bike you choose just remove the cranks . i know that the new kids bikes are made without cranks or a bottom bracket, this allows the youngsters to develop balance and a feel for the bike before having to learn to pedal. it also allows for more concentration on steering.

they call them Run Bikes

alloy-run-bike-1-lthumb.jpg

here is a link to a small vid
http://youtu.be/kcWUXrBxaBU

let us know how it goes for ya... happy riding :D

DHrider said:
hey just thought i may chime in here for a min.

my best friends brother in law has cerebral palsy not that i know much about it, but that it is a very debilitating. Mad props to you for being determined enough to try, let alone succeed. as foolish as this may sound ..... perhaps try at first to remove the cranks from your 2 wheeler. whatever bike you choose just remove the cranks . i know that the new kids bikes are made without cranks or a bottom bracket, this allows the youngsters to develop balance and a feel for the bike before having to learn to pedal. it also allows for more concentration on steering.

they call them Run Bikes

alloy-run-bike-1-lthumb.jpg

here is a link to a small vid
http://youtu.be/kcWUXrBxaBU

let us know how it goes for ya... happy riding :D
Thanks for the support! in planing on leaving everything evept the pedal itself and if i enter the buildoff this time around it will be with a 3 wheeler and next year the 2!!!!!!

Wolfy, From one brother to another! As you can see, there is a ton of people on this website that have bikes in their blood. These guys & girls have given you lots of advice & I am personally proud of their input. I would like to encourage you to build the the 3 wheeler in the build off! Build something you are proud of! I am building a bike myself, & I can assure you I won't be voting for my own bike in the competition. There are a lot of GREAT people on this forum, men & women, boys & girls of all ages & we all share the same passion. Cool bikes! Go for it Bro! I am looking forward to seeing your entry! 8)
If you are needing parts, ask! Most of us have extra stuff waiting for a good use for them.

pick said:
Wolfy, From one brother to another! As you can see, there is a ton of people on this website that have bikes in their blood. These guys & girls have given you lots of advice & I am personally proud of their input. I would like to encourage you to build the the 3 wheeler in the build off! Build something you are proud of! I am building a bike myself, & I can assure you I won't be voting for my own bike in the competition. There are a lot of GREAT people on this forum, men & women, boys & girls of all ages & we all share the same passion. Cool bikes! Go for it Bro! I am looking forward to seeing your entry! 8)
If you are needing parts, ask! Most of us have extra stuff waiting for a good use for them.
I want to fuse a mystery frame with my 3 wheeler and olive drap it! mens cruiser frame on a 3 wheeler!

Go for it brother! How about a springer front end??? I like your idea so far! 8)

pick said:
Go for it brother! How about a springer front end??? I like your idea so far! 8)
I have not started ill wait until school lets out or about to end. For learning to ride on i got an old skool 80's fully rigid cromoly specialized hardrock mtb picks hopefully tommorow.

My turn. :wink: An mtb is probably the best thing for any grown person to learn on. Here's my list of suggestions.

1. wear a helmet and gloves, for goodness sake, you've got palsy. :!:
2. find a somewhat open flat spot like an empty parking lot or open basketball court, with no traffic, so you are not restricted to one direction.
3. before mounting, rotate the crank with your foot while shifting to the large sprocket on the rear, and the middle sprocket in front. This will be fairly easy to pedal, and fast enough to get moving enough for easy balancing.
4. straddling the bike, rest the palm of your hand on top of the handlebar, with your thumb on top, as opposed to gripping it like a bat, with your fingers resting on the brake levers. You can easily switch when necessary, once you get riding.
5. on the side with which you would normally step first, rotate the pedal about 3/4 of the way up, towards the front.
6. stand on that pedal and as the bike starts to roll, lift your other foot to the other, and your butt to the seat. if you sit straight and keep the wheel pointed ahead of you, you should go, but unlike a trike, you have to keep moving to stay up. If you feel like you're going to fall, turn a lttle in that direction and you'll probably stay up.
7. if you manage to pedal a few turns without losing it, squeeze the brakes and as the bike stops, lean slightly and put your foot down on one side.
8. do it again a couple of times, once you can start and stop, the rest is a breeze. God bless and good luck. :wink:

deorman said:
My turn. :wink: An mtb is probably the best thing for any grown person to learn on. Here's my list of suggestions.

1. wear a helmet and gloves, for goodness sake, you've got palsy. :!:
2. find a somewhat open flat spot like an empty parking lot or open basketball court, with no traffic, so you are not restricted to one direction.
3. before mounting, rotate the crank with your foot while shifting to the large sprocket on the rear, and the middle sprocket in front. This will be fairly easy to pedal, and fast enough to get moving enough for easy balancing.
4. straddling the bike, rest the palm of your hand on top of the handlebar, with your thumb on top, as opposed to gripping it like a bat, with your fingers resting on the brake levers. You can easily switch when necessary, once you get riding.
5. on the side with which you would normally step first, rotate the pedal about 3/4 of the way up, towards the front.
6. stand on that pedal and as the bike starts to roll, lift your other foot to the other, and your butt to the seat. if you sit straight and keep the wheel pointed ahead of you, you should go, but unlike a trike, you have to keep moving to stay up. If you feel like you're going to fall, turn a lttle in that direction and you'll probably stay up.
7. if you manage to pedal a few turns without losing it, squeeze the brakes and as the bike stops, lean slightly and put your foot down on one side.
8. do it again a couple of times, once you can start and stop, the rest is a breeze. God bless and good luck. :wink:
1-does palsy affect my falling? the way you said #1 creeps me out ive already scrapped my bad side's knee(i got hemapolegic which is one side only) i think i bruised the inside of the knee not only the skin :shock:

As for bike I got exactly what you recomended before you did i got a :D cromoly :!: :D specialized hardrock (used early 90's).

Ive done steps 1-5 and have without pedaling made 40ish feet. I should post pics i took of my 2nd baby (my mtb)

I don't know what degree of impairment you have, but would expect it to increase the likelihood of falling, or possibly make the landing a little less controlled.

deorman said:
I don't know what degree of impairment you have, but would expect it to increase the likelihood of falling, or possibly make the landing a little less controlled.
You made it sound that with cp i could be more hurt...

I like the person's suggestion of learning to ride using a "run-bike". I just read in Bicycling Magazine this month that the best way to teach someone to ride is to remove the pedals, lower the seat as low as it will go, and learn to balance by pushing off with the feet. The chance of falling down is much less since you're feet are already down, and you can learn to balance and glide at your leisure.

once you are coasting with your feet up longer and longer, you can put the pedals back on.

of course you'll need a bicycle with hand brakes to do this properly.

Back