balloon fenders...with truss rods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone..I'm starting to work on my 26"Hiawatha...I'm looking for some fenders....and not sure if they 're the regular 26 fenders or are they different....cause of the truss rods. also I know my bike does not take the L shaped bracket on the front fender ..here's a pic..thanx.

2rh2rua.jpg

I was told it's a 39 Hiawatha
vqh4di.jpg

Depending on the age of the bike most early balloon tire fenders had 1 screw that went throught the fender into the bottom of the forks.
the "L" bracket i think your talking about is used in newer bikes.

jon said:
Depending on the age of the bike most early balloon tire fenders had 1 screw that went throught the fender into the bottom of the forks.
Right. The screw goes vertically through the fender and straight into the bottom of the fork. The original screw should has a square shaped washer more or less built into it. The ones I've seen looked similar to a wood screw in terms of general shape.

jon said:
Yes you're right it goes through fender into bottom of forks....

There should also be a bracket that looks like a two tined fork that goes on the same screw as the fender in the bottom if the fork and supports the truss rods.

Back