Bar Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a current build but there was enough intrest that I thought I'd post the build up pictures anyway. This build got started because I had already built a rat style 70s Schwinn but it was too small to ride comfortably. The amount of interest in a custom bike at the bars or on campus was really encoraging so I thought I would chop another cruiser to better fit me and to look like the old school motorcycles I like (but can't afford to build). I started off with a huffy cantaliver frame I got for $20 and went right to work flipping over the seat stays and stretching the chain stays to give the bike the layed back seat post that I wanted. Now it was time to start mocking up the geometry of the frame for the riding postition I wanted.
IMGP2279.jpg

With the neck welded in place raked out and stretched in the backbone and downtube. You can see the difference when compared to my Schwinn in the background.
IMGP2280.jpg

Here's a picture in primer with the expanded foam gas tank in place and the lower tripple tree and forks mocked up.
IMGP2288.jpg

The tank was made by masking off the frame with painters tape then spraying expanding foam in between the frame tubes. After it set I used a hacksaw blade to shape it roughly while it was still in the frame. Later a light blocksanding to get the finer details. In this picture it is wrapped with packing tape so that the fiberglass will release easier.
IMGP2289.jpg

Frame painted a flat red
IMGP2294.jpg

Getting the handlebars just right.
IMGP2301.jpg

Also the frame is on a jig that keeps the frame in the right spot so I could position the front wheel for the appropriate amount of trail and design the springer fork from there.
IMGP2302.jpg

springer front end all together and the z bars welded up so now it was time to coast it up and down the street to see how it handled.
IMGP2331.jpg

Bars painted and a headlight installed. Saddle is an old Brooks cruiser. Big difference over the blue Schwinn.
IMGP2337.jpg

I really like the way the bike fits me! It's comfortable enough to cruise for miles and gets loads of lookers at bars.
IMGP2362.jpg

Tank all painted up, took me a while to decide on a paint scheme that wouldn't take too much away from the rest of the bike. I wrapped the bars with cork look bar tape because I didn't like the look or price of any of the cruiser grips I could find.
IMGP3587.jpg

IMGP3590-1.jpg

IMGP3589.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you all enjoyed the pics even though it wasn't in real time.

Great craftsmanship sir, I truly love this bike, real inspiration for me. Thanks for posting!!

That's a great looking chopper! The tank and frame stretch came out awesome. Don't leave out the bike though. Give us info and more pics of that one!!

I moved away from cruiser country but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my cruisers! I got a nexus 7 speed internal hub wheelset. Geared down the front to make it climb the hills here in Flagstaff. It's not quite low enough to be easy but it makes it possible to ride home rather than walk. I finally had an excuse to build my jockey shift too!

IMGP6026.jpg

IMGP6021.jpg

IMGP6023.jpg

IMGP6025.jpg

IMGP6022.jpg

Looks good man - real good! I gotta say, I wish I would have found this website while still living in Scottsdale - there are a lot more Rat Rodders in the Phoenix area then there are in Vegas! I could have someone to go ridin' with!

Maybe I'll just have to move back to the valley...

Re: Bar Chopper (more additions)

A guy came into the bike shop where I work and wanted to sell us his old 10 speed and it had the coolest set of saddlebags on it that I have ever seen. My boss bought the bike and I bought the leather work. Got it home last night and couldn't wait to put it on the chopper.
IMGP7085.jpg

Started with an old sissy bar and bent it up to mount on the seat clamp.
IMGP7088.jpg

Used some old 10 speed seat stays for the side supports.
IMGP7091.jpg

There you have it!
IMGP7096.jpg

I also got a tool bag in the deal! I'm not sure how I want to mount it permanently but for now zip ties are working.
IMGP7094.jpg

IMGP7095.jpg

I actually live near one of the stretches of road that they filmed Easy Rider on. I think I'll have to track down the scene location and take two bikes out and recreate some of the shots. The only thing left to test now is if the saddle bags will truly fit two 12 packs like their creator said they could.
IMGP7093.jpg

IMGP7100.jpg

Back