Bare Metal Build Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm already walking around without crutches. Measured where I'm going to cut the fender and found a better pair of pedals. Mounted an old style frame pump I got for 5 bucks from Niagara. The weather is great for riding, I'll have to wait a few days before I risk a ride though.

r794c8.jpg

So how many people are still in this? I'm hoping to be done on time, but I work in a grocery store and Thanksgiving is crazy for us. I'm having trouble finding time to go to the salvage yard for things I'm looking for. Mine's coming along though. This picture is pretty lame with all the junk in the background. The tank is unfinished as of now and just thrown in for the pic. The taillight is attached but non-functional. It might just be a reflector for now.I'm still trying to figure out a chainguard. I might just take a 60's guard and hack the rear mount and weld it on going down with a frame clamp like a prewar style and sand the paint off and go that way just to stay cheap.
SANY0668.jpg

I think they both look good, just depends on the look you are going for.

I've had to slow down, but did get my old tag on my 1953 Cleveland, Ohio built bike!

119uxye.jpg

We're building some nice raw cycles gentlemen :p

I can't get much work done, but I did come up with a name, the Cuyahoga Crusader. Cuyahoga is the county Cleveland is in, and where I was born. I hope to get this bike finished in a week or so.

r1y4hw.jpg

Wildcat said:
I can't get much work done, but I did come up with a name, the Cuyahoga Crusader. Cuyahoga is the county Cleveland is in, and where I was born. I hope to get this bike finished in a week or so.

r1y4hw.jpg

Metal pedals? Do I see all metal pedals? That's too cool

Ha! These are some KILLER bikes! I am real close with mine, another few days dinkin' around with the fiddly shtuff.

Ozz, I work in the meat room in a grocery store and boy howdy!! Turkey all the live long day!!! I had 20 50lb cases of frozen turkeys on a U-boat, I didn't know they would take a thousand pounds! It's pretty fun but the schedule is really really really bad. I never work the same shifts week to week. :x :x :x

jackdaw said:
Ha! These are some KILLER bikes! I am real close with mine, another few days dinkin' around with the fiddly shtuff.

Ozz, I work in the meat room in a grocery store and boy howdy!! Turkey all the live long day!!! I had 20 50lb cases of frozen turkeys on a U-boat, I didn't know they would take a thousand pounds! It's pretty fun but the schedule is really really really bad. I never work the same shifts week to week. :x :x :x
I was in the meat market but my company did away with butchers in favor of a centralized packing program so now I'm a grocery dept. manager. My shifts change a lot too. We call u-boats floats here. Not sure why, but we load em down too. And here's mine with a little more progress. Taillight is on , tank is in but not attached yet. Fenders are spaced and mounted. More details are up at my build thread.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48214
SANY0671.jpg

Charles said:
Wildcat said:

r1y4hw.jpg

Metal pedals? Do I see all metal pedals? That's too cool

Yep, metal, I had those on there in the first place, but they are BMX style, I didn't think they would fit in with the look. I have a pair of black pedals I'll try.

I'm really digging these builds. So far this is the second build challenge I have participated in, and I kind of crapped out and took too long on the first one. I'm really trying to keep this one up to date with progress shots. Could anyone involved post the link to their individual build thread if they have one? I'm not seeing many progress shots and I'd really love to see what everyone has going on. Unless we're waiting until the end to show... in which case I've totally screwed up. Anyway, mine's no trophy winner, but so far she rides smooth and everyone here who has seen it is really into the style. I live in a small town and a bare-metal bike is considered trash by everyone besides people I know. I'd love to add half-moon bars to mine but it's getting too late into the build. Maybe later on. I can't believe the progress I've made today and I hope everyone has been as fortunate as me in their build. I've been working on it on and off today, but I'm still looking for a new mandolin and have had to travel trying to catch a deal before thanksgiving. Maybe I'll have better luck on black friday.

Wildcat, I love that you're starting with such a classic frame. The straightbars always look so good stripped. I would have gone with the same style in my 48 hornet, if it weren't for the fact that I've really been itching to utilize the frame I'm using. First off, my hornet frame already has a tank and I really wanted to hone my chops at fabricating a toolbox tank from scratch. It might not be perfect but it is better than nothing. The front end on yours sets it apart. I'm hoping to fab some truss rods before the deadline, but work will likely prevent it. I've been cutting, grinding, and sanding in my kitchen though and staying up at night, so who knows. Now come on guys, let's get some detailed shots for the rest of the congregation to look at and admire. :lol:

Hey ozz, my build thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47113

Here are a couple of pictures to maybe lure folks over :lol:

chuff-dropout.jpg

truss-close-up.jpg

I've been having fun with this build and it's been great seeing others bikes. They are all so different, so cool.
Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving!

I've got 2 10lb turkeys and a ham that go in the oven in a couple hours, so I had time to tinker around a little. I found my black pedals, they are in new condition, and tried them on. I might get some metal pieces to replace the reflectors. I found my brass sprocket cover I made from the bottom of a planter. The wife still doesn't know there's a big hole in the bottom. I used it on my build off bike, the Silver Flyer, but it got all bent up when the chain came off and grabbed the edge. The star sprocket looked better without it, but I think this will make the spiral sprocket look better and match the welds on the frame. I'll go over it with the wire brush and wax it down like the frame. 2 weeks and no rust yet on the frame. I also tried the fender, it'll need some more trimming and get something else added.

13ye07t.jpg

14iiv7r.jpg

Wildcat, more brass will look great. Glad you're better from your foot. Do you have a build thread or are you all on here?

ozz, I think Jon Thomas Sorel is still in but my feeling was that he was pretty much done, and busy with other stuff.

Also, in no particular order

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=47529 from streetrod

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=46301 from Charles

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=47020 Here's JTS

oklaheathen said something about a build, I dunno what happened there. There may be more.

So guys, are we still on for the 30th? Wildcat, do you think there are enough of us to make a pole worth while?

It will be a struggle for me to be done by the 30th but I can if that's what we decide. What do you guys think?

I've never been real strict on anything, so whatever works will be fine by me. I thought I wouldn't be able to do anything with my foot in a cast, but actually I've got more time. On my pain meds I can't drive, so the wife and daughter had to leave me home while they shopped. So they came home to a bike in the living room.

We can probably see what happens in a week or two, maybe interest will pick up after the holiday weekend.

Back