Barn Auction Jackpot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i went to the Barn auction today and i won all the bikes. I now know that my truck will hold 9 adult bikes, 2 kids bikes and 1 unicycle.

2096436083_6b627d192f_o.jpg

2096433763_930c121f5b_o.jpg

So far this is what i have been able to identify

Zephyr...?

2097212436_b4d0329cd1_o.jpg

Wards Hawthorne
2096435687_fbfd90b115_o.jpg

Unicycle...brand unknown
2096435649_2058882e5a_o.jpg

Raleigh Sport 3 Spd
2096435321_09dcd89b86_o.jpg

Sears ...?
2097211756_907db1ffab_o.jpg

Lightning Flyer
2097211422_109d8dff81_o.jpg

Elgin Robin
2096434547_ce06f0628b_o.jpg

Huffy Kids Bike
2097210784_c9f62ef329_o.jpg

Hedstrom Kids Bike
2097210416_1d417d88b9_o.jpg

Colson? Flyer
2096433811_dce3409268_o.jpg

CCM?
2096433481_1c099d5bca_o.jpg

BF Goodrich XL Sports
2096433733_e418639b4f_o.jpg

Any help on the ages would be appreciated or brands. I haven't had a chance to look for any numbers yet. They all need a good amount of work, but i think at least a couple of them will turn out pretty cool.
There are a ton more pictures on my flickr page here http://www.flickr.com/photos/16874980@N03/
I also have much larger pictures if it would help anybody identify them.

Later

From old roads it looks like the CCM is a Ladies Roadster from the 40's - all the pinstripes are hand painted. it is probably in the best condition.
The Colson also appears to be from th3 40's
The Raleigh sports looks like a 1970
The Sears might be a mainliner, but i can't tell
The Hawthorne might be late 40's to early 50's

That's all i can tell from a quick search

That higgins is very elgin like in appearance.Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Elgin was what the brand of bike sears sold before they changed the name to JC higgins. PLEASE let me know if your gonna sell it. I'm into JC Higgins stuff and am starting to collect. I've got a 1946 bicycle (the Dharma Bum) and a 60's vintage JCH bolt action 12 ga. shot gun, kinda rare.

ej599 said:
That higgins is very elgin like in appearance.Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Elgin was what the brand of bike sears sold before they changed the name to JC higgins. PLEASE let me know if your gonna sell it. I'm into JC Higgins stuff and am starting to collect. I've got a 1946 bicycle (the Dharma Bum) and a 60's vintage JCH bolt action 12 ga. shot gun, kinda rare.

The only reason I thought it was a JC HIggins was because the pedals say JC Higgins, but they could have been replaced. I couldn't find any pictures of JC higgins bikes that looked like that with the single top tube, so it could be an Elgin.

I probably will be selling some of the bikes or parts as is, minus the hay. I just need to decide what I want to fix up first. I'll post stuff in the classified section once i get a grip on what I have.

Re: Barn Auction Jackpot-ELGIN ROBIN????

Hi,
Just to let you know that the JC Higgins-and I may be wrong- might in fact be a very desirable Elgin Robin frame .If you have the "Evolution Of The Bicycle" #2 book pg.39 and elsewhere you'll see that it looks very similar.Great project if you put the time and $ into it.They do sell aftermarket fiberglass zeppelin tanks & fenders check "Chestnut Hollow "just get ready for some hurt on the wallet side of your pants,rest of stuff can be picked up over time on E-BAY.Nice find. good luck!!!!

Thanks for the help everybody! I'm dying to get started on one of them, i just can't decide which one.
I looked up some pictures and that one does look like the frame to the Elgin Robin.
It looks like the blue Sears has headlights, but I bet that the inside of the tank is a mess.

There is an Elgin Robin on the bay right now with a repop tank. Sure looks like the frame you have. Does your frame have any grease fittings on the top of the bottom bracket shell? The robin had a provision for lubing the bearings without taking the crank out.

I found a few serial #'s
The CCM is 62P177, which makes it a 1946 from the chart I found

The hawthorne is # H43165. Anybody know the code for this one?

Awesome treasure uncovered!!! Rat Roddin one of these will coronary any antique bike purist-GOTTA LOVE IT!!! I"M lickin my chops and wringing my hands for you already!!!The biggest headache is finding the glass tank,Chestnut Hill probably has them but it'll definately lighten the steam in your wallet.I semi ratrodded a 1939 Elgin 4 star Twinbar,the bike is beautiful and user friendly with an Electra wheelset and Nexus Shimano 3 speed.I showed some pictures of it at the Copake Auction in NY. to some of the collectors,thought they were gonna need a heartmobile for the ride home for "butchering" a classic This bike gets a lot of eyeballing and smiles on the bike trail.Hope you decide to keep it and do a little "butchering" yourself.Best to ya,hope I"m standing next to ya in line for powerball tickets!!

I gotten a few offers for the Elgin and an offer for the hawthorne. i keep going back and forth on it though. i am dreading having to ship any of these bikes if i sell them.

Back