beach cruiser break mod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guy i was wondering what is the least expensive way to turn the rear rim into a freewheel like them bmx bike i cant stand the breaks when you back pedal, iwould like to ad some hand break any ideas beside getting a 60$ new rim kinda broke right now thank any advise would be nice thank you

Do you have a picture of the bike frame? It would be needed to see what options exist for mounting a brake.

Hey, guy-- he rides a Cranbrook.

You'll probably want to buy a new rim or wheel with a freewheel hub, b/c I wouldn't trust the Cranbrook's painted c/b rim with rim brakes. You'll also want to buy an adaptor plate for v-brakes($20). RRB member sinner4 did the mod on a Cranny; here's a pic i stole from his post with the set-up:
DSCN2111_zps0f2cf15e.jpg

Short answer: if a $60 new wheel is too much for you, and if you don't have a lot of donor parts lying around (eg, old mtb rims, v-brakes, v-brake lever, etc), then the best option is to learn to love the coaster brake.

The ironic thing is, I just spent $60 on a new Velosteel coaster brake hub for one of my projects. :oops: Coasters are awesome, once you get used to em...

Just came up on a v break now will a 26 " MTV rim fit on cruiser an will my new cruiser tires fit the mob rim I just got new tires 26 x 2.30 ones

jayblok said:
You can just take off the original cog on the coaster brake assembly and weld a 16T BMX freewheel where the lock ring was placed, feels smooth as butter, the local welder charged me $5 bucks.

Sent from my mind
They used to make adapters like this but that was in a place long long ago!

For the O.P., you are going to be best off replacing the rear wheel or hub. My suggestion is use a good hub, finding out the money you spent relacing and truing will be a sorry note if the (huffy) hub only lasts a month......

well just went ahead and got the the freewheel cog replaced and its awsome also got some breaks installed although the breaks dont grip as great as i want them to but i belive it might be the rim itself

Latest posts

Back