Bearings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to buy 2 new bearings and need to know what to ask for. My local bike shop is clueless. Is there a certain bearing # or do I order by size. I think these are 1 1/4 inch. These came out when I took the fork off my bike. Also if you know of a good online place to order that would be great. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-You.

Bearings002.jpg

Bearings001.jpg

Maybe this will help. Niagara has some decent prices on lots of stuff, but you may need to order enough stuff at one time to make the shipping charges come out reasonable. They usually get the order to you in about a week to a week and a half.

From this page it looks like they size the bearings by number of balls and the diameter of each ball. They show 2 with 15 balls like yours has - one says "flat tang" and the other says "Old School", so I'm not sure of the difference.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?c ... d=&sort=3a

If nothing else you might be able to take yours to the LBS and tell them you need a 15 x 3/16 headset bearing and see if what they have matches yours.

If you can't find the bearings, get a few dozens of loose balls (same size as you had originally) and install them on the bearing races, tight to each other, using lots of grease to hold them there. It's going to be a pain to catch all the loose balls next time you disassemble, though.

But it's a keep-you-on-the-road idea if you can't find the right bearings. I've done it several times on BBs and headsets, and it works fine.

Hugo

Casting,If the bearings are that far gone...how bad are the races?

Ya might need those too.

MagicRat said:
Casting,If the bearings are that far gone...how bad are the races?

Ya might need those too.

Good thinking but the races are fine. Reason the bearings are shot, is because my 2 year old nephew decided they needed to live in the water for 5 day's, without my knowledge. Kid's and their imaginations!

Casting,WOW What kind of water do yous have around there that destroys bearings in 5 days?

Hopefully you dont drink it

Back