Beast Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I purchased a slightly used and modified Beast for this project. Plan is to cut off the head tube and rake out the front end for a Bike Designer 1-1/8 threadless chopper triple tree and bare steel 42" fork tubes. Will get a 29" cruiser front wheel/tire from Phat Cycles.

It will have the rear of the Beast pretty much left alone. With a multi speed rear hub. Disc brakes front and rear. Wanted to go Hydro, but think I will go with BB7's front and rear. They do a great job on my Mukluk so they will work just fine for this project.

Picked up a banana seat at a swap meet and have it stripped and cleaned up ready to recover. But the bike shop has a seat pan that has me rethinking the seat.

No pics yet as I am just getting started rounding up the parts. But I will share when I get something.

Did get the head tube cut off. It will be replaced with a new one from Nova Cycles. Along with some cool cable guides they have, that will pretty much be the only welding needed.

Won't be able to get the frame parts, wheel and brakes until end of the week. Then I can get started with the build.

This will be my first custom build, but will have lots of help from the guys at Porkchoppd in Wichita, Ks. Stop by if you are near.

Still planning final colors. Thinking a red primer looking powder coat for frame and fork legs. Leaving what ever is black or aluminum alone. White wheels with black rubber, Surley Black Floyd on the rear and the Phat Bikes tire up front. Undecided on handle bar.

Just enough old and new school. Should be fun.

See ya,
Rod

Couple pics of the start of the project.

First time I have had the frame and fork together. Got the replacement tubing and some cable guides and a disc brake tab for the rear of the frame to weld on.

Front wheel parts will be here next week. Couldn't get the complete Phat wheel. But we have a plan.

First is get the front wheel built. Then assemble enough, front wheel on fork, rear wheel on frame, chain stay level, to get the layout of the fork rake. Cut/notch frame to fit.

Once we have a rolling chassis, then we can figure out the seating and handle bar.

We really like the look of twin old cruiser style stems for the bar. Will need a tubing shim turned to fit inside of fork tube and outside of stem. With a small edge to keep shim from sliding down into fork tube. Then just lock down with the bar in place. Thinking a drag style handle bar, but will decide when we get there.

Some specs; the fork tubes are 42 inches long. 26 inch rear wheel from the beast, 29 inch front wheel and tire. BB7 disc brakes front and rear. Will have to keep single speed for now. But rear wheel does have a free wheel, I could go with a cassette style gearing. Might have a rear fender, but will need to see if it will fit.

The pics show the frame/fork rough layout and the rake is pretty close to what it will be. Rear tire and frame and fork assembly with stem idea.

Played with the powder coating chips and pretty much decided on the red oxide primer look for frame and fork legs, white wheels and rest of parts will stay what ever color they are, black, aluminum. Light tan leather seat cover. Reverse brake levers will give it a unique look.

chopper%20frame%3A%20fork%20rough%20layout.jpg

chopper%20frame%3A%20rear%20wheel.jpg

Chopper%20fork%3A%20stem%20plan.jpg

Last edited:
Frame and parts are at the welder. Stopped by shop to drop off brake sets and front wheel and hub showed up, so spokes will be ordered tomorrow. I won't get to see any progress until after Labor day.

Still need to fab seat post, sissy bar and decide on handle bars.

May have a roller next time I get to see it!

Woohoo!

See ya,
Rod

May have a change in color too. Saw a really good looking late 50's hot rod go by on a trailer and it was a battleship grey with bright yellow wheels, now I gotta go play with the color chips again.

Looks like the Porkchoppd guys have gotten some work done to the bike.

A mock up pic (indoors) and one with a few more degrees and ready to weld. The neck gusset really adds to the old school look!

I like it!

A pair of simple stems to give the riser look and possibly a drag bar.

Once bars are worked out then the seat post and sissy bar can be fabbed.

Looks great Porkchoppd crew!!!
10377632_859966447355431_8289535669431962747_n.jpg

Well I meet two of the tree requirements to enter the muscle bike build so guess I just might. What the heck. Will be fun.

Looking awesome!

Well I meet two of the tree requirements to enter the muscle bike build so guess I just might. What the heck. Will be fun.
Unfortunately work was started on the bike before the start date, so it will not be eligible... Sorry!
Very cool bike, will be following along with interest!

Luke.

I read it as build must be done as in finished between the dates given, not as built between the dates. My mix up no biggie.

Think I will swing by the shop on the way to work and see if it is there.

Well pretty much decided on the matte grey frame/fork and yellow wheels. Like I saw on that hot rod. Black textured banana seat cover. And the guys at Porkchoppd are fabbing the sissy bar. And have a great idea to make it removable so I can load the bike into my old mail van.

Heading to a surplus store to see if I can find material for the handle bar. Gonna stick with a drag style bar. Keeping it simple. The twin stems will really add to the look of the bike.

Gonna be cool.

The inspiration for this project is the Captain America Chopper from the movie Easy Rider. Cool bikes, strange movie but cool bikes.

I think the guys at Porkchoppd have just about nailed it with the attitude of this frame and fork.

Aw man I dunno, a chopper like that just screams for some serious "metal flake" action... don't even care what color!;)

??? So you are going to be using two handlebar stem?
Hands down drag bars are definitely gonna complete the look, but man aren't you gonna be stretched out riding it?
This thing is so off the hook, I'm digging the stance of this thing so much... even at this stage you could go in so many different directions and it would still be wicked cool, Rat it out, spit polish it with metal flake... It just wouldn't matter, cool by default! I couldn't do it with less than three of them at this stage, otherwise I think my head would explode trying to decide which way to go:crazy:o_O

Tell you what, with all the stretch cruisers and retro stuff going on I'd bet there would be a serious market for this set up in a limited production basis... Who am I kidding, retro cool lines, fat rear/skinny front, and disc brakes... I'm not even a cruiser bike guy and I'd buy one!:113:

These little gems will let the stems tighten into the top of the fork tubes.

1620573_866312960054113_2018591163216140792_n.jpg

10606122_866313186720757_8946460052001973202_n.jpg
Awesome! Did you make or buy them?
Very cool and exactly fit for purpose!

Luke.

Yes, two stems will be used to give the riser look. The shims were custom made by a local machinist that the Porkchoppd crew deal with.

Going in today to see how they are coming along with the bike. And to start paying for all this work they have done.

It has been a team effort, I came up with the ideas, they have the fab skills to make them work.

We have a bike fest coming up end of Sept and I would like to have it ridable by then, hoping we can get it done.

It's a cheap wall-goose bike, great canvas to build what you want!

Thanks for the comments guys. It's one of those builds I have always wanted to try.

You think this one is cool, wait 'till you see what I am planning for the next build. No I'm not telling here. Will start it's own thread when I start on it.

See ya,
Rod

Back