TRADITIONAL Behrens Viscount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
I started tearing this down after work, hoping to get it ready for our big vacation in two weeks.
Suddenly, as of someone gently... Hitting me with a brick, it dawned on me. I should document this for the traditional category.

I've had this bike for years, and know nothing about it. I bought it the first time I went to the Ann Arbor swap many years ago. I rode it that summer, then it spent the next 6 or so years outside. Now it's back, it's back inside.
20240526_182935.jpg
20240526_183731.jpg

17167635070001863638621574609243.jpg

17167635442467144366147719765756.jpg

I don't have anything spectacular planned for it. Just want to clean it up a bit, but might add a couple things.🤔

I've searched the forum for ways to rejuvenate the paint, and keep coming up with oxalic acid.
I'm wondering what other ways there are to do that. Not opposed to the acid, just trying to see what else might work.
It looks like someone painted over the original red, so going to dab some paint stripper under the bottom bracket and see what happens.

Cool frame to become the 50th BO19 Build!

Number 1 Win GIF by YUM KFC SouthAfrica

I've searched the forum for ways to rejuvenate the paint, and keep coming up with oxalic acid.
I'm wondering what other ways there are to do that. Not opposed to the acid, just trying to see what else might work.
I've had good luck with rubbing compound.

I started tearing this down after work, hoping to get it ready for our big vacation in two weeks.
Suddenly, as of someone gently... Hitting me with a brick, it dawned on me. I should document this for the traditional category.

I've had this bike for years, and know nothing about it. I bought it the first time I went to the Ann Arbor swap many years ago. I rode it that summer, then it spent the next 6 or so years outside. Now it's back, it's back inside.
View attachment 267244View attachment 267245
View attachment 267246
View attachment 267247
I don't have anything spectacular planned for it. Just want to clean it up a bit, but might add a couple things.🤔

It looks like someone painted over the original red, so going to dab some paint stripper under the bottom bracket and see what happens.
Clay bar

I like the head badge. I think I've read that oxalic acid sometimes doesn't play well with red. I've also read that WD-40 and 0000 steel wool works for cleaning and paint removal. I haven't tried it for the paint removal but it cleans pretty well. Have fun!

Cool lugged frame. 1 pc cranks? Don't think I've ever seen those together. To just shine without removing a light polish or cleaner wax. You could always do the boiled linseed oil deal but no idea how that's done.

I like the head badge. I think I've read that oxalic acid sometimes doesn't play well with red. I've also read that WD-40 and 0000 steel wool works for cleaning and paint removal. I haven't tried it for the paint removal but it cleans pretty well. Have fun!
That works well for the red, and will probably keep at it.
Biggest issues is the white paint for the pin stripes and where it says Behrens on the seat tube. Everything I've tried so far removes it. Really hoping to avoid that.

Proceed slowly with that paint!
Following!
It's probably going to take the rest of this week to get it done.

Cool lugged frame. 1 pc cranks? Don't think I've ever seen those together. To just shine without removing a light polish or cleaner wax. You could always do the boiled linseed oil deal but no idea how that's done.
Yeah, one piece. This bike has been one of those odd deals. I think the fenders were chrome before too, but I haven't stripped the paint off those yet.

Digging through the cabinet, remembered I had this tank and set it aside.
Today, I tried it on. Don't know what it's originally from, schwinn maybe?
But it fits pretty well.
20240527_170819.jpg
20240527_170853.jpg

Then I stood the frame up, and took a step back.

Nope.
20240527_171621.jpg

It just takes away from the frame I think. Odd given how many canti frames had tanks, but I don't like it on this one.

Put some paint stripper on the fender, then a wire wheel.
The stripper removed the brown paint down to what I think is an etching primer, and the wire wheel took it through rust to bare metal.
There are some small spots that look like old chrome. So I think they were just rusted out chrome.
I'll probably just strip them to bare metal and clear them??
20240528_161915.jpg

That tank fits very well. I agree with Wildcat. It's from a Ross or Stelber bike.

In regards to the paint, there seems to be ongoing commentary in this build off that strippers just don't work as hard as they used to. :D

Strip to bare metal and clear sounds good.:thumbsup:

I think it's just shiny metal. I did some hunting around to find info on that bike, no Viscount or Behrens matched up with that frame. I've seen a lugged frame with a American BB but I can't remember where.

Back