Beiwagenmaschine Type II (now with riding video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice machine! I had multiple memories seeing the pictures in the first post:
  1. Mad Max, what a lovely day!
  2. Death Proof, with the sidecart.
:thumbsup:
I was telling Kate "Death Proof". I didn't want to make the sidecar too comfortable or people would be asking me to cart them around all the time

I was telling Kate "Death Proof". I didn't want to make the sidecar too comfortable or people would be asking me to cart them around all the time
I know what you mean every time I take papas taxi out when the grandkids are around I never get a break.
20200725_171622.jpg

View attachment 134710

View attachment 135044
View attachment 135046
View attachment 134711
was just a bicycle, or whatever
View attachment 135120View attachment 134729
View attachment 135049
View attachment 134727View attachment 134728
24" Roadmaster stretched, chopped, lowered, drop looped, raked, side carred, intensely lit, air horn with compressorred, Triiger suicide shifted, twisted spoked, drum braked, etc. plus mostly it's kinda I am really happy about it and the side carrier is custom fitted to the cute doodle so i can ferry her around at events. Even the after dark needs high visibilty pub crawler kind. I'll get a good one sooner than later
my bad, almost forgot the before pic
View attachment 134755
now with obligatory riding video.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/beiwagenmaschine-type-ii-finished.111728/build thread link

Fantastic work! I look at your sidecar's "grille" and I think '33 Ford.

I am just not in the habit of lying to anybody. Thunderstorm this morning and leather so yeah. He is a carpet queen now. That just ism't one of my leave on the front lawn saddles is all I am saying. the cat doesn't seem mad about it either.
118372033_3523008751097653_7642123870116177331_o.jpg
118701499_3522251374506724_6733652860790558181_o.jpg

the dog Rex" looks kinda cheesed though
weather saddle two.png

Last edited:
Wheels down in six hours and forty-minutes at farmers market in Downtown Dallas if anyone else is just aching to hang out with people on bicycles. It is a social ride with fixie geared no brakes races at the end of the night. I know I'll be there with the Beiwagenmachine. i built it just so I could take it on the train. Plus the whole after dark thing. Bring a comfortable mask. Most of my friends are real sticklers for those things.

IMG_20200822_202823.jpg

Is there any geometry to adding the side car as far as the wheel? Any toe in on the sidecar wheel, or does it track parallel with the rear wheel. Should it have camber to it? Should the wheel be slightly higher than the drive wheel?

What a cool pic!!!:cool:

index.php

Is there any geometry to adding the side car as far as the wheel? Any toe in on the sidecar wheel, or does it track parallel with the rear wheel. Should it have camber to it? Should the wheel be slightly higher than the drive wheel?

index.php
Yes, it is a little different than when you are doing it with a motorcycle. the curve in the road really comes into play. I set my first one up on the numbers for a motorcycle and wound up hammering it into shape as i rode it more. I like it the camber set really negative and i toe the side carrier just slightly in. The more rigid it is the more predictable it is going to be. The lower you can get your center of mass the easier it is going to be to make a toward your passenger turn when its empty. I actually put ballast in the big beiwagen. It cruises at 40 plus so its kinda weird empty. Side car wheel scrub: this is the pisser. You want the side carrier wheel contact patch ahead of rear tire. Think 80's three wheeler. If it is too far back it will pitch the whole thing into turns lifting the back tire off the ground. When you do it though you want it to turn in a circle in its own footprint without scrubbing. If it scrubs the hack wheel it will tear it up. It would be really easy to throw one on to a bmx or an old muscle bike to get an idea. The hardest thing I did here was making the carrier rigid without a front brace. I liked the idea of putting it on the English traffic side just because of the apex in the road and left turns are much wider than right turns so I could take them quickly on the way to the grocery without having to lean as far off of the saddle

Last edited:

index.php
Thanks man, pictures don't really do these things justice. I would love to actually have a seat on yours myself.

The shift cable slipped this morning when I was out riding. The tensioner is missing or whatever. I saw this piece of steel sitting behind my bike and thought, " what the heck is that". I thought it fell off my bike too.
IMG_20200909_082316.jpg
FB_IMG_1599658579424.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back