Belt drive?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tricky part is the split stay/dropout to install the endless belt.

c.p.odom said:
The tricky part is the split stay/dropout to install the endless belt.

There is a solution to that obstacle: when you use a Basman type frame there is no stay in the way :wink:

tom-1.jpg

Great example!
Basman or similar design would be a simple solution.

It looks like $200 in parts, another $60 in tools, and you end up with something almost as efficient that has a shorter projected service life. Gotta admit, when it comes to trendy/cool, it's up there on the scale, though.

:roll: Hadn't even though of how to actually get a belt around the chain stays! I looked at a video from Gates and some bike makers use a split dropout. I was thinking of a belt drive on my 52 straight bar but i'd have to pay for welding on top of the belt drive! Definitely high up there on the cool scale though!

gowjobs said:
It looks like $200 in parts, another $60 in tools, and you end up with something almost as efficient that has a shorter projected service life. Gotta admit, when it comes to trendy/cool, it's up there on the scale, though.

Yep, the second best solution to a problem that's already been solved.

I think it can be done cheaper. You just have to find the right size parts, An old aircooled VW pulley will work perfect for the front, as it would not take much to expand the center hole enough, if it isn't big enough already. and it could easily be drilled for the part of the crank that holds the sprocket stationary. Also, you can remove the rear cog and weld a smaller pulley to the drive screw. And actually, the generator pulley from the same VW might work best as it a 2-piece pulley and its design would likely help eliminate some issues with offset. The only hard part would be getting the guys at the autoparts house to let you bring your bike in and rummage through belts for hours to find the right length.

VW dub parts on my bike, yuch!
The math for the belt length is no big deal.

Ive been toying with making my custom chopper a belt drive. since im a millwright and play with belts, pulleys, chains and gears all day i just gotta stop being lazy and do it lol the actual kits to do it are pricy and your stuck with certain belt lenghts as they use toothed belts not a reg v groove that you can get in almost any length.

Back