bendix 2 speed help!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding the loose bearings in a Bendix red band hub. I see that there has been a little discussion on how many bearing there should be (the loose one's by the planetary gears) in the race. I have see some that say 11 and some that say 12. When I took my hub apart ( which I think was for the 1st time it had been ever taken apart) it had 11 the same size and 1 smaller. Is that right?

thanks for looking
Santiago

The hub takes 11 loose balls that are 1/4" dia. It will hold 12, but only put 11 as they need some extra room in there. Gary

That sound good I will replace it with just 11 balls. Have you ever seen one with a 12th little ball in the hub? is that something may be a bike repair shop did in the past?

udallcustombikes, I found a old post by you where you give a great break down of this hub and how to rebuild (with great photos). In that post one of the last things that you said was that you could not get the hub to go unless you turned the pedal three or more times. You also said that you put in 12 bearings and, some one later told you to go back to the original 11. Was that the problem? Is that what happens with the extra bearing, it will not let the screw engage? Did you get that hub fixed?

After I removed the extra ball I have had no problems. The hub is currently mounted on my Flatliner, the bike that won the first ever head to head builder challenge. The hub still shifts and brakes great. I am currently soaking my second red band hub in preperation for it's rebuild. I don't remember if I mentioned it in the how to thread or not, but red nail polish is great for repainting the bands.

I don't think so, there was nothing in the hub to make it seem like it had warren the 12th one down. So I think that it was added by some one. The guy I bought it from said that every thing seemed ok but he would not promise me that it was in good working order. I think that he may of added the 12th and that would explain all of the problems. I will rebuild it with the 11 bearings and post what happens, thanks for all of you replies and help.

Santiago

well I rebuild the hub, and it appears to be working correctly. It is not mounted on a wheel so it is hard to tell, dose any one now where to get a good deal on rims?

Latest posts

Back