• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bendix 2 speed kickback seals!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott1race

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bendix 2 speed Red Band and Yellow band hubs are great, and I have been rebuilding and riding them for over 20 years now.
It has always bothered me that they are so poorly sealed, and I finally decided to do something about this. After putting over 400 miles on a red band in 2022, and 1800 miles on a yellow band in 2023, I serviced both of them and found a disturbing amount of dirt and grit stuck in the outer layer of grease, especially on the drive sprocket side.

To counter this, I have come up with a set of O-rings sized to help limit the amount of debris that can enter the hub. Yellow band hubs have spaces that can accommodate 3 o-rings, red bands can handle 2 O-rings. The most important one needs to be installed while the hub is apart, the other two can be slipped over the assembled hub but of course this would be best to do right after being serviced. I’ll attach some photos later today. $17.50 shipped by USPS from Rockford Illinois.

Last edited:
Bendix 2 speed Red Band and Yellow band hubs are great, and I have been rebuilding and riding them for over 20 years now.
It has always bothered me that they are so poorly sealed, and I finally decided to do something about this. After putting over 400 miles on a red band in 2022, and 1800 miles on a yellow band in 2023, I serviced both of them and found a disturbing amount of dirt and grit stuck in the outer layer of grease, especially on the drive sprocket side.

To counter this, I have come up with a set of O-rings sized to help limit the amount of debris that can enter the hub. Yellow band hubs have spaces that can accommodate 3 o-rings, red bands can handle 2 O-rings. The most important one needs to be installed while the hub is apart, the other two can be slipped over the assembled hub but of course this would be best to do right after being serviced. I’ll attach some photos later today. $17.50 shipped by USPS from Rockford Illinois.
IMG_7259.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7258.jpeg
    IMG_7258.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6865.jpeg
    IMG_6865.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanx for posting this. Back in the day before sealed cartridge BB brgs, we used to install rubber o-rings on the triple crank spindle to keep out sand, crud, and small animals :). It didn't keep water out but it did extend the bearing life.....

Latest posts

Back