Bendix automatic issue (?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Bendix Automatic red band hub and I think I might have an issue after rebuilding it. I stripped, re-greased, and rebuilt it using the amazing walk-through in the How-to's section:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21780&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

Everything seems to be working fine, it shifts smoothly and the coaster brake works well. The issue I'm having is that it seems really stiff compared to other internal hubs that I have (SRAM, Shimano, Bendix single speed or Sturmey Archer). I loosened the axle bolts just enough so that everything holds together properly but it still doesn't turn that well. I don't have it laced up yet but I can't imagine that it will coast very well, if at all...

I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour for this type of hub as I don't have another one to compare it to.

Everything was carefully cleaned and repacked using white teflon hub grease, the same type that I have been using in hubs for years.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Cheers, Simon

those hubs are pretty heavy and in your hand they do seem kind of sluggish, as long as they are moving freely / shifting and braking you should be good to go. theres a big difference in "feel" when your spinning a loose hub vs a hub in a wheel. theres really only a slight difference in coasting on the bike though, when in the underdrive gearing the hub seems to have the most drag while riding.

just my experience with them anyway.

Cheers CCR!

I was hoping it was something like that and not a malfunction in the hub.

Remember, a red band kickback has disc brakes. When you turn the hub the slots in the hub are turning the bronze discs between the steel ones. That's the drag you are feeling. As said above, not a problem. Gary

Back