Bendix Coaster Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone list the differences in the Bendix hubs that we may come across?

In my collection o'stuff I have some marked 70, 76 Mexico and a red band "automatic.

I realize that the older (colored stripe versions) are more desirable/durable, but what about the later one's with the 70 something on the arm? Are any of those decent?

Additionally, are there many that have more than 28 spokes or is that pretty standard?

Thanks.

62H

This is what I can remember about Bendix. And going on memory for me is dangerous!!! The old timers were the "no-band" coaster brake that was around before the red band. The multi-speed which was a two speed manual. The Automatic two speed, commonly referred to as the kick-back.
They made a heavy duty that had big brake shoes. The 70, which was their last US made coaster brake. The 76 which was from Mexico. The Junior which was used in Velo applications. The Junior was also made in a 20 hole hub. Most bikes used a 24, 28, 32, and 36 hole hub depending on the wheel size and price range for the bike. There may have been other Bendix hubs that were around, but these are what the ones I remember. Thanks!!!

And I also forgot... After thinking some more (also dangerouse for me), there was a 40 hole hub also. It was used on some oldy 28" wheels. and probably some 26" also. The Bendix "no band" coaster brake is pretty rare out there today. The Bendix Heavy Duty would be rare also and they where drilled for 130 - 150 gauge spokes. Most of them were used on cycle trucks and work bikes. The Multi Speed two speed manual shifts had no bands and the shifters and cables for it are hard to come by today. The Automatic two speeds had three bands. There were different color bands- red being the most popular- used over the years and the some of their parts are not interchangable. The single Red Band coaster brake had a long production run and there are still some around. The Bendix 70 coaster brake was introduced in 1969 and was an improved version of the red band. It was a great hub. The 76 coaster brake was introduced in 1975 and was built in Mexico. It was also a great hub. Along about the time the 76 came out, Shimano coaster brakes started to become popular. There were several other brands that were popular also. There was Perry, Musselman, Mattatuck, Komet, Morrow, Reading Standard, New Departure, Curtiss, Sturmey Archer, Brompton Stampings, HK, NK, and Shimano that I could remember. And like I said, there were probably more out there that I can't remember. I have some old hubs and as time permits, I'll try to get some pics to show you guys. Thanks !!!

Cashman,

Thanks for the info. I am going to try and clean up what few I have and post pics of them soon to see what is worth saving/working with.

62H

Latest posts

Back