Bendix Red 3 Banded Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info on this hub? I looked up the ratio nd the pecs on theses, found technical information...but would like to know a little more bout the 3 banded valuevandbperonal thoughts form other members.

It's worth $75-$100 if it works. If it doesn't shift, you may or may not get it to work by rebuilding it. For a cruiser bike, to be ridden on relatively flat ground, it's one of the most clever bike inventions ever made. Kick back to shift to lower gear ratio, kick back again to shift back to standard ratio. Red band 2-speed made '60-'64. Disc brakes similar to New Departure single speed hub. Member udallcustoms did a "how to" on this hub I believe. Gary

That's cool looking bike. What is it?
They made a yellow band 2 speed hub after the red band, brakes are different, and a blue band hub was also made, with a higher gear and normal gear. I have a yellow band on a S-7 rim, it rides very well, but I want more choice in tires, so I might lace it to a standard 26" wheel. Once you get used to the shifting, it's second nature. No brake or shift cables to deal with
Here's some info on the hub:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

They do become second nature after a little riding. Nice and clean--no cables to fiddle with.

Gear ratio on a red band is .6666:1 in low and 1:1 in high.

I think they are the best thing since soft butter, O wait they've been around since before soft butter. I put 2 speed kickbacks on most all of my bikes. Think I got about 14 of them. My first, a blue band, was on my Sting Ray I bought with lawn mowing money back in 1964, wish I had that bike.
I rebuilt one and it work for a while then stuck in low gear, I think I put too much grease in it. I now take them to a LBS for rebuilding, if there is a problem with it he will fix it, and I like to support the locals.
They do take a little getting use to, but a quik kick back and your in the gear you want.

I just bought this bike, it's a 1960's Roadmaster Amelite Cobra. Original everything, including tires...minus the pedals, I believe. This bike is turning into more of a treasure than expected!

I was at a lbs Friday,saw a new Schwinn bright blue crusier with a 2 spd kickback on it

Sturmey Archer is making them now, with or without coaster brakes, and in different colors.

More good news; chances are good that your hub has the 19 tooth gear.That would effectivly make the overall gearing lower,therefore easier to pedal.Turn the bike upside down and pedal it to check for noise,and gear shifting. If it has problems,service it right away.

It being a girl's bike, the hub is probably in great shape, but the grease may be old. I'd service it or get it serviced, just lubed for the most part. Your rims look AMF and they match, so it's a safe bet to say the 2 speed came with the bike, and the red band hub was made only 60-64, so that tells you the approximate year of your bike.

Cleaned hub today, lol, had a string wrapped around it and lots of built up grime; how long that's been there, I don't know. Two Speed kickback works great and the hub is extremely quiet...couldn't ask for anything better! Thanks for all the info, it was extremely helpful.

Back