BENT FORGED ALUMINUM BRAKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to put brakes on my 24'' Schwinn Sting Ray, and one of the sets of brakes I have has a bent arm. I want to know if theres a good way to straighten this, without breaking it? I tried straightening one of these a long time ago, and it broke off, even before it got straight. I am thinking heat would have been a wise choice. Being forged aluminum can it be straightened? Any help would be appreciated! And yes, the cable pinch bolt is broke off!

012-1.jpg

I would search for a new brake. Cast Aluminum doesn't always retain its strength when bent back. Once it "bends" it develops micro fractures where the side being bent away from is stretched and the aluminum literally tears.

If you do try it. Use low heat. Make sure you have another brake on the bike too.

Aluminum is real funny . it bends once really good but to go back to where it was usually just breaks it. Never heard of heating it to bend. To heliarc it you are almost at total melt when you weld it. :roll:

I might as well just heat it a little, and try. If it breaks, I'm not out too much, was out of my old scrap parts anyway, thats the reason I made no effort to clean it up, no reason to clean it up, and then have it break. And yes cman, two brakes would be wise, in case that one decides to break when I need it most. Thanks wingman and uncle stretch also!

I've straightened bent weinmann calipers with varied results. If I were to try straightening the one in the picture, I would use a vise to flatten it, and of course protect the finish with cardboard, wood, whatever.

Are these what you are looking for? if so, I've got a few sets of them around here. most of them are off old Varsities, so i don't know if they get wide enough, but I think it might work...

2839346017_d38e8f9f69_b.jpg

Thanks GTCOMA, I have a set from a Varsity too, they are a little narrow for a 2.125 tire, especially the dumb knobbies I have on it now, can't wait to swap the out for wide whitewalls. Anyway, I'll heat 'em up a little today and give 'em a squeeze in my vise, between brass stock, let you know how it works out... Thanks everyone!

Back