Best classic bikes for taller riders (6'3")

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,

I am pretty sure I have seen this talked about but did not have much look searching for it.

I would really like to know which classic bikes would be the most comfortable or best fit for people 6'3" or taller?

I have been trying to figure this out by trial and error but it is time consuming and expensive.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

Define classic. Old or just old-looking? Are you looking at just cruiser/tanker/curvy frames?

There are plenty of diamond style frames dating way back to the beginning of the safety bicycle. I like the truss frames or straight bar frames which were available in tall sizes. Schwinn made a number of lightweight diamond frame bikes (Traveler, Racer, and Collegiate to name a few) in tall sizes. Schwinn also produced their American model cantilever cruiser in a "King Size" frame marketed to older teens, but in reality it wasn't a lot bigger than the standard size.

As for newer cruisers, Trek made their classic cruiser in a 21" frame. I have one of those. Also, Electra makes their standard single speed cruiser in a tall size.

I'm 6'2" and the only bike I have that really fits me is a tall frame Schwinn Continental skinny tire bike. All of my Schwinn cruisers feel small to me. Gary

I am only 6 foot and schwinn are small!
I always stretched my riders until I found Dyno, (sounds like a sales pitch) and they are worlds better, but still height impaired.
I am wanting a Ruff, anyone know how they are for size?

I have a ruff porucho with a layed back seat post, I'm 6-3 an with the that post I barely reach the 5.5 inch cranks. I run a tripple tree with lay down bars so I'm laying over the bike, plenty of room, but I'm not riding that beast more than 10 miles, that is for sure. Never set it up for swept back bars, but I bet it would be comfy. Looks to be about 3 to 4 inch longer then a worksman. I think a basman would be a super comfy bike for tall riders.

I'm 6'6" and I found that any CWC frame fits me quite nice

My vote is the Worksman tall frame industrial bike. They are cheaper than the rare tall Schwinn, They are Vintage looking [ yes It's my Opinion]. The rims are beefier and they will hold a lot of weight.

At 6'5" I struggled to find a classic style bike to ride. Under me most of them look like kiddie bikes. Previously I was riding a tall mountain bike. I ended up with a modern forward-pedaling cruiser and fixed it up to fit. Next I got a stretch cruiser with a laid back seat post and that fit good. Then I made the mistake of getting a Basman and I could no longer go back to the other two. I now have two Basmans, a Ruff Porucho and an Electra Ghostrider that all fit me fine. My shorter brother was riding my first bike, which was fine, but now he rides the GR with a seat adjustment.

My son is 6'2" and has a banana seat on his 46 schwinn so its comfy for him but yet others can ride it without a problem. His big thing is how wide the bars are, if they are narrow he wont ride the bike.

I am 6-3 & utilize a number of strategies to make my post&prewar frames
rideable. The slacker the seat tube angle, the better: because when you
put a long seatpost in the frame, every inch higher you raise it, the further back
your butt is in relation to the bars. Also, remember that you can run a regular
modern road or mountain saddle on old seatposts with the rail-clamp style
adapter...this gives you fore and aft adjustments. If you are running old saddles, most have no fore/aft adjustments, but some do. Also, a longer stem will
stretch you out as well. My typical fix is to run a longer stem, some flat bars
with bar ends on them, giving you more hand position options. Combine this with
a modern saddle that slides back and forth in the rail clamps, and get after it!!!Hot rodded rat-rods are not meant to put you in a "proper" riding position, so don't even think about it. Your knees will always be bent.....:thumbsup:

Legend has it that these two guys are both 9' tall and I've seen them fit on just about anything:

3798491348_ebb0e4b473_b.jpg

3797681815_ca83edd85d_b.jpg

Thank you for all the very helpful replies! I will definitely be using a bunch of the tips shared.

I am mostly into prewar cruiser bikes like Colson and similar.

I have plans to build up a Colson built Firestone Flying Ace frame and fork this spring.

I also picked up a '41 Schwinn DX frame and was considering a Klunker build but it does seem pretty small.

I really like the 26" BMX bikes but the pricing on the old school parts are out of control.

The Basman bikes look awesome but I was wondering how functional they are for actual riding. Wish I could check one out in person in Southeast Michigan.

Thanks again for the help. I love RRB!

-Nick

My vote is the Worksman tall frame industrial bike. They are cheaper than the rare tall Schwinn, They are Vintage looking [ yes It's my Opinion]. The rims are beefier and they will hold a lot of weight.

That ain't your opinion; that's a simple fact... everything about the Worksman m2600 frame is old-tech and old-look. What new bikes, aside from those being made in India, have brazed plain-lug frames and stamped track-ends? The forks, these days, not so much.

I am mostly into prewar cruiser bikes like Colson and similar.
I have plans to build up a Colson built Firestone Flying Ace frame and fork this spring.

I really like the 26" BMX bikes but the pricing on the old school parts are out of control.

-Nick

Truly old Cruisers are harder to find in the tall sizes, and as others have already discussed, the tall sizes aren't really very tall. In my view, you are better off trying to fit the small frame to you. In addition to the layback posts and apes already mentioned, you might also look for a stem with a lot of forward reach to it. Also, many prewar bikes came with moto-stye frames but 28" wheels. Even though the 28" wheel frames had shorter headtubes, they tended to be longer in the toptube, had higher standover, and could more easily clear longer cranks, should you wanna use'm.

Good luck with your projects; sounds fun. Klunk builds are a blast. I'm forever making klunkier and weirder Worksman builds.

As for 26" BMX-- they are cool, but they won't get you anywhere in terms of fitting you better. They tend to have short seat tubes and, while the top tubes are long relative to the seat-tube, they still tend to be short. Fireman's Texas Cruiser makes a 29" looptail BMX that looks pretty awesome. As for the terrbie buyers' situation with old school BMX: that's what porkchopbmx.com is for. Everything good about old school bmx parts, without the wear-n-tear or high prices. Have fun with your projects.

That ain't your opinion; that's a simple fact... everything about the Worksman m2600 frame is old-tech and old-look. What new bikes, aside from those being made in India, have brazed plain-lug frames and stamped track-ends? The forks, these days, not so much.

Can you buy a bare frame from Worksman?

Marc

I'd check with member-ind-chuckz , he usually has a good lead on worksman frames and parts.

Agreed re:ask ind-Chuckz. A new m2600 frame-only from Worksman will run you about $200 plus shipping. Chuckz sells em for much less, although he seems to have far fewer m2600 framesets as compared to the INBs. (Only differences are the m2600 has a straight top tube and a 20" seat-tube, whereas the INB has a curved toptube and a 18" seat-tube.)

You might notice that the paint jobs on Chuckz Worksman frames are totally shot, but don't let that dissuade you. Worksman paint jobs are the worst, and tend to go pretty quickly anyway.

I've ordered parts from Worksman directly before. They're not quick and they're not cheap, but it's a sure way to get what you want. http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/pricelists2012/2013 Factory Direct parts price list.PDF
Part number 3700, on page 5.
(About $15 more than the standard INB frame...) Completes, available here http://www.industrialbikes.com/detail.aspx?ID=3814 run $400.

HTH,
Rob

Not old but check out the phat 29'er there was one one on CL for a long time I wanted to check it out but could never get a hold of the seller.

Back