Best components?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've picked up 6-8 garage sale middleweights with which I want to do a couple of builds. I would like information about the best components to use. For example, I have an old Hawthorne that seems to be a Frankenstein and has a Styria rear hub. Is it any good? Also have Komet, New Departure, Bendix, and an old 1960 Schwinn girls 26" with a Schwinn script front and a Schwinn rear. I know there is a single red stripe somewhere among them also. I'd like to save the best pieces and put the rest on ones to re-sell for garden/yard decoration bikes. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I know nothing about Styria hubs, but all of the others are good quality and easy to rebuild or service as well. Most of what people will say is likely based on personal preference. I have bikes currently with Komet, Bendix, and ND hubs. They all ride great. I have found that I have to service my Bendix hubs more often, as they will tend to get a bit stiff or start braking soft or making a click when I brake. But usually cleaning and regreasing or minor adjustment solves any of it. New Departures are my personal favorite.

Thank you very much. In reading the forums I've seen the "stripes" mentioned. So is the single red stripe Bendix any more desirable or significant say on a restored bike? Were the Schwinn units ever sold and used on any bikes other than Schwinn?

Back