BEST "PARTS" BIKE TO START WITH

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to this whole custom bike thing but the bug has bit me. whats a good bike frame or bike,new or old to start with ? i ask as i dont want to buy something where ill have trouble getting parts or fitting parts.

what i have in mind :

cruiser style frame,springer front end fat white wall tires. ade to look like a bobber.

thanks , Geo

as far as good usually cheap used bikes, id look for a murray monterey or huffy good vibrations, they usually have whitewalls already, you can bob the fenders and cheap springers will fit just fine.

If you want something fast, Wally world is selling a hard tail aluminum cruiser bike for 96 bucks. For got the name, but its super light. I think its a NEXT brand. This is mine. Its an older one labeled as a "Prestige" Rat Rod it out, Springer Fork, Bars, Paint and a Fat Tire out Back. And did I say light and FAST??? $96....
S5002998.jpg

This bike is missing the fenders and chain guard.

millions of abandoned three speed girls bikes are laying wasted at the side of the road, begging for attention. :D

You can usually get the best deals at yard sales. People are trying to get rid of their stuff, and are usually willing to negotiate. I've bought a complete bike for as little as one dollar. Swap meets and thrift stores are hit and miss, sometimes they can be rediculously overpriced. Of course there's always CL, the 'bay, and last but not least our own RRB forum! Try to get a bike that is as complete as possible, it will save you a lot of cash in the long run if the price is right. Happy hunting!

I've gone each route and I guess it just depends on what your going to do to the bike. I picked up a Schwinn Point Beach from Wally World for a daily beater. It's a nice cantilever style frame but it's aluminum so if you've got hacking in your build plans I'd stay away unless you can weld aluminum. I like it cause it's aluminum, had a 1-1/8 headtube, had some decent parts and had cantilever brakes on it since I was turning it into a MTB. I scored my fair share of bikes from CL. Also you should see if your police has an auction on stuff recovered that was either stolen or found. My police department has a bike auction ever spring and you can get bikes for as cheap as a dollar( I scored a complete AMF cantilever 3spd cruiser for $1 last year) so that might be another option.

Every Sunday I go dumpster diving while the "wee peppers" are napping. I use a 3rd party GPS app on my Iphone to keep track of what alleys I have already driven down.

Back