Best Single to 3-Speed Conversion Method?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody...

This is actually jumping ahead a bit, because I don't even have the bike yet, nor do I have the specs to know what I'm dealing with, so call this one of those dilemmas that's keeping me awake thinking about...

I've decided my next bike is going to be the Ocean Pacific cruiser from Wally-World. I saw the thread and the reviews on it, and I'm in love with how it looks. Apes, of course, are going to be added, along with a few other things, but the biggest deal is going to be converting it to a three-speed.

I've been dealing with single-speed bmx bikes my whole life, so bear with me. Some of this stuff is a bit alien to me. :oops:

I've been reading about the internal hubs... lots of good points and bad. To me, they seem like a shot in the dark as to whether I would like one of them. An expensive shot in the dark. I know it would probably be the easiest conversion (if the hub will fit), but I can't seem to find any of them with a freewheel... which is important to me. I can't ride with a coaster brake, because I like being able to adjust my pedal position from a stop without lifting up the back wheel. I also found out while riding my friend's bike that I have a tendency to slam the brake on all the time because I have the subconscious habit of spinning my cranks backward while coasting (that's a heck of a way to discover a habit...). :shock:

The other option is putting a triple crankset on with a derailleur and some kind of clamp-on chain tensioner. I would then get a freewheeling hub. I can live with that, and would actually prefer it because I'm more familiar with that kind of setup... but every tensioner I've found is made to bolt onto a derailleur hanger-type of dropout, which that bike doesn't have. Do they make one to clamp on the chainstay, or an adapter?

Which conversion would be the best?

If the 3 speed hub isn't a coaster brake model, it will freewheel backwards to your heart's content. I've gone from one speeds to 3 speeds on various bikes, The hub was a little wider but will fit. The only work was running the cable and shifter and that's not too hard at all.

No... I'm going to look into which brakes would work best on the bike once I get it.

...actually, according to pics of the bike posted by Mr. Rat Rod himself, it looks brake-ready. There's a hole in the crossbar behind the seatpost tube just waiting to be filled...

IMG_0701.jpg

Either the Sturmey Archer or the Shimano are available with or without a coaster brake. Now if you wanna go whole hog, even the 7 and 8 speed hubs are available with a hand brake built in...they are a bit pricey though. Running a 3 speed front crank means opening up a whole can of worms...chain tensioner, chain pitch, chain alignment, front derailleur etc. Usually the internal hubs are the cleanest and easiest way.
ps good luck with the OP. Be sure to post pics of the outcome. 8)

ive got a shimano 333 hub laying around with a shifter, worked fine when i unlaced it. I prefer the sturmey archers though myself

i have a couple 3 speeds myself...two shimano 3 speeds that freewheel and have caliper brakes and one sturmey archer 3 speed but it has coaster brakes...i thought of unlacing the worse of the two bikes and using that hub on my rat rod bike but...
ONE: i dont know how easy it is to unlace and relace wheels correctly
TWO: i dont know what ill do with the bendix red line thats on it
THREE: im not sure it will fit properly
FOUR: will the cable be long enough
FIVE: where will i mount the brakes

Latest posts

Back