Best Springer Fork to accomodate BOA-G tyres

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Complete novice builder and first time poster - I'm looking to build a Ruff cycles style cruiser from separate components. I like the look of their new Lucky V 1.0 frame and was wanting to add vintage springer forks to accomodate 3.45 BOA-G tyres and 65mm rims - will most cruiser 26 springer forks house these size wheels or am I way off the mark and need to seek out something bulkier / wider ? As I say - complete novice so go easy on the comments :) Thanks in advance!

Great frame - I really like the look of that one. I'm not sure the vintage fork is the way to go with this build. I'm saying this for two reasons - technical and aesthetic. The Lucky V is a modern, large scale frame, and has a 1 1/8" head tube. I can't think of any vintage springers that are 1 1/8". While you can get special headsets so you can use a 1" fork in a 1 1/8" head tube, I'm not sure you will be able to find a vintage springer that will work with the 65mm rims.

The other problem that you will run in to is aesthetics. The scale of that frame - large enough to work with 29" rims - demands a robust looking fork. I'm thinking an Abraham Linkage from Felt, or the Sunlite equivalent. I also think some triple trees will work in there as well. A vintage Monark has pretty spindly looking tubes, as do the old Schwinn springers. The scale will be off, IMO.

Whatever direction you go in, you are starting with a great frame - were I to buy a Ruff, that one would be on the top of my list.

ruff1.jpg

I used a U.S. Choppers vertical springer, chopped it way down, made new dropouts, it'll fit Boa tires, or even small motorcycle tires....

Please note: I have a killer tool set and machine shop at my disposal.

Just so it is said, I have modified horizontal springers to accept 3" tires. Think outside the box.....

This is the Sunlite version with a 26x2.35 tire on a 50mm rim. The tire is about 26 3/4" tall and there is about 3/4" clearance between the tire and the top of the front fork. Looks like you'd have to use the Felt version with the BOA G.

springer_12.jpg

springer_13.jpg

springer_14.jpg

You can use "classic" springer forks as well. There are spacers for 1-1/8 headtubes that reduse its diameter to accommodate classic design springer forks. As for OLD, I replaced stock bolt that attaches fork legs to a stem with 10mm axis that could be easily bought Ina hardware shop. Since new OLD of the fork is now nearly unlimited all you have to do is to place as many spacers as you need to fit any rim. Do the same with fork crown as well.

Here's a pic of the result.
saUH6i-p5ik.jpg

Latest posts

Back