Best way to add rake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i was wondeein what would you sugest for adding a little bit of rake to a lugged frame?
I dont need much just want to lower and lenghthen the front end :wink:

lugged frames are kinda hard to rake, the lugs are cast and don't bend well, I wonder if you could un-braze it and flip it and get it to line up ?? :roll:

too bad I don't have any lugged frames to try it on...

i suppose that would work? :?
but what i might try is cutting the tubes just before the lug. like cut a slot out of top tube then cut a v shape out of the bottom bend and re-weld? might also be an opportunity for me to learn to weld / stretch the frame slightly. :mrgreen:

Rockit! said:
Well if you do it like that the top tube won't be straight anymore, it will have a "crook" in it.
This happens everytime with the lug system. The other thing is that your dealing with 2 tubes, one you pie shape a notch, bend and weld and the second tube doesn't line up. I have redirected tubes on some of my swing bikes to reset the head angles. To me I was experimenting with head angles and was not concerned what the neighbors thought on how it looked. I have seen someone on the interweb from Eastern Canada or maybe it was Europe messing with this lug dilemma but can't remember who it was. I know they made it look good, it can be done.
If I was atempting this I do the pie shape cut on the top of the bottom tube and leave a little bit of tube connected so when I bend and weld everything stays lined up some what. Before you even do this you would have to plan on bending the bottom tube up a little with a conduit bender. :shock: and before that you have to plan on where your going to cut the top tube so that it lines up :roll: . I just mocked this up on paper and I suggest that you could do this on cardboard (CAD) by tracing the section of the bike where you are doing this. I think you can come up with something that looked really good. 8)

Graylock

Ok this all sounds very complicated :oops: so i may go have a look at kota's thread got 2 sets of forks kickin round :D

Latest posts

Back