Best way to paint chrome?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRASH said:
I'm going to need to paint some chrome for my project. Will just hitting it with primer be enough to last? Should I rough it up first? Tips appreciated.
I use a scotch pad to scuff the chrome. Then use some bulldog adhesion promoter
bulldogfa_10171485.jpg

after it dries i spray some etching primer

Took me 5 tries to get my fork tubes right. Pain in the butt doesn't beginning describe it, Mike.

An oscillating sander with some 220 grit paper does a good job of giving it some texture for the paint to grip to. Then etching primer,high build primer( if you want a real smooth finish) then main color.

most chrome I need to paint is rusty. I DA sand with 120,and have used 60 grit. Prime, paint,clear. Works.....they are 40 to 60 year old bikes, who's gonna say they see sand-scratches?

chimichanga said:
CRASH said:
I'm going to need to paint some chrome for my project. Will just hitting it with primer be enough to last? Should I rough it up first? Tips appreciated.
I use a scotch pad to scuff the chrome. Then use some bulldog adhesion promoter
bulldogfa_10171485.jpg

after it dries i spray some etching primer

+1 on this. You can do plastic too.

i just take sandpaper and rough it up, and the primer sticks like gum on the bottom of a shoe, i paint all the rats that way

Latest posts

Back