Best way to remove old grips from bars???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have an old set of grips I need to remove, but I would like to save them. Any tricks or ideas are appreciated. :?:

Use a flat head screw driver, pry it up, squirt WD-40 inside and twist off :wink: It works for me without destroying the grips :)

The best way I've used is compressed air. Cover the hole in one grip with your thumb tightly. Put the air nozzle on the other hole. Let the bars fill up with air. Pulling on one grip should remove it. Repeat this, covering the bar end with your palm.
I've also used a rubber mallet with good results. Although this is riskier. You should only have to tap them a couple of times to pop them loose. Then twist and pull.

I use an 4 inch awl, push under the grip and use 409. Poke in and repeat and twist off. Then no WD40 clean up

If the grips are especially tight, you can scar your bar (or the grips, less important to me) with the wrench, but you can use one of the soapy water/wd40 type methods in conjunction if it takes more than a simple whack. :|

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
i use my kungfu grip :D
imagesCAUICHJS.jpg
that will work :D

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Use a flat head screw driver, pry it up, squirt WD-40 inside and twist off :wink: It works for me without destroying the grips :)

Exactly what I do, works every time. Also easy clean up. Some paper towel and the mess is gone. It's actually kinda fun. Start at the top and wiggle it down.

I have stabbed my hand a few times with the screwdriver method so be careful, a better way is take a 19mm open end wrench (your size may be different on the grip area?) and gently tap the wrench with a hammer. I have removed even the most stubborn grip in the world using this method, The sun baked, rusty, yard art Schwinn cushion grips that were outside since it was new.

Back