BEWARE! California DMV Scam!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know who thought of this (expletives deleted) underhanded idea, but it sure seams like a cash-generating scam to me!
Yesterday, I pulled a letter from the DMV out of my mailbox and was met with a surprize.
The first clue that something was amiss . . . a “Special Notice”, printed in “The Color of Money” green. It mentioned legislation that passed on May 4, 2011 changes DMV’s process for collecting renewal fees, including NOT sending 60-day advance notification to renew. Gee, bummer! Over the past 30 years, I had kinda gotten used to receiving a renewal notice in advance, paying for my tags, and getting my stickers WAY before my registration expired! Not this time. My registration has already expired! Yep, that’s right . . . tags expired on the second of July. Now get this . . . the letter from the DMV is postmarked July 6 . . . four days AFTER my fees were due!
So, the DMV still sends a renewal notice, just not before the registration expires. I don’t see how that can save them anything. Now, since I failed to get my fees sent in on time, I will now need to pay an additional penalty that amounts to 25% of my registration fee. On the 12th of July (that’s two days from now), they tack on another 10% to the penalty! RIP-OFF!

My tip to drivers in the “wonderful” state of California, check to see if your tags are due for renewal this week because the DMV need its money!

I heard there's some kind of screw up with the dmv and they are allowing people that tags expire in july and august an extra 30 days or so to pay their registraition. I don't know why but I also heard something about it in the radio. You should check with the DMV. Or try googleing info on this.ill try to look into it and if I find anything ill let you know.

Mine arrived late also. My registration was due on 7/8 but was mailed out on 7/6. I went on the website to pay it and it did not show any reflection of late fees on there.

I'm REALLY surprised that the state is waving the late fees. You know that someone in the DMV thought "hey if we mail the renewals out right before/when they are due we can collect a ton in late fees." It's just that they were not expecting people to get up in arms about it and fight back.

Back