BFGoodrich road bike frame year? ... finished pictures 9/29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I picked this up yesterday at the Larz Anderson swap/show for $20. Guy said it's a prewar road frame, but as Joe (yeshoney) pointed out, the rear dropouts don't look prewar. Guy also said it originally had 26x1-3/8 wheels and tires. It appears it will take 700c wheels and tires, so I think I'm going to make a vintage single speed track type bike with it, possibly skip tooth. I like the fork. Would like to get that old bronze Yale lock off the stem w/o cutting it off. Skip says a lock shop can make a key for it (?)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

3808321504_dbbb52eaaa_b.jpg

3808324530_ecb3bc2478_b.jpg

3808323032_9d53991f16_b.jpg

3808325988_72d85589ea_b.jpg

3807512705_56fc4cfda5_b.jpg

3808329118_63f3b84fb0_b.jpg

Re: BFGoodrich road bike frame year?

I don't know who or when was the first w/forward facing dropouts, but other details of the bike, like that cool fork, smoothed joints and how the dropouts are fitted say pretty high quality build for a tire maker label. It looks a lot like an early Schwinn to me. Very cool. :wink:

Its a Schwinn Built bike, Looks like a Victory bike, produced during the war since the bearing cups are blacked out and the chain ring looks black. Schwinn used a fish hook drop out on their lightweight bikes before the war.

thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Now I'm even more glad I bought it. Off to the internets to see if I can find some pictures of what it looked like new...

Ian,

The Schwinn/B F Goodrich connection makes sense and so do the nice tube joints being Schwinn quality. Black out sprocket is a good clue. Missed that even in person. Maybe the pics picked it up better.

PS the Columbia frame i got i was able to ID as a 1922, WAHOO! Oldest bike I have!

Joe

1922... sweet.

Big Pants and I are already hashing out a design for fabing an early adjustable track style stem for the BFG. Thinking of buying these brown track wheels, removing the decals and maybe hand painting wood grain on them...

813315010071_1.jpg

spin a bmx freewheel onto them and file down every other tooth on the cog...

What about that really cool skip tooth rear sprocket you bought?? At least post a pic of it.

Those wheels would be the shizzle yo!

Joe

"spin a bmx freewheel onto them and file down every other tooth on the cog..."

That thing is cool and yeah, the sprocket is awesome! If that was for a normal hub I would have bought it.

updates...

did not go with the brown wheelset. Bought a coaster brake 700c wheelset in flat black instead. No progress on home made adjustable stem yet, may use one pictured temporarily. Have a set of black drop bars on the way. Going to grind off every other tooth on the hub sprocket so I can run a skiptooth chain.

3940498223_c8877c6999_b.jpg

3940494415_2f7cb544ea_b.jpg

3941270830_507aaf4eed_b.jpg

3940492957_7493838161_b.jpg

3941274982_b524ce135d_b.jpg

It's an interesting looking bike. I like it. In fact the more I look at the pics the more I need to go find a frame like it. Very nice!
Sean

The progress looks great! What bars are you going to use? I think a set of soma major taylor bars would be perfect for that bike.

^^ they would, you're absolutely right. but i went totally over budget with the wheelset ($160), so for now it is getting a set of beat up black ITM drop bars.

i need a narly set of vintage quill pedals too.

Wow, that's looking great! I would really like to have that frame... really sweet looking so far!

^^ those are pretty nice. doesn't say how wide they are though. could shoot them an email i suppose.

Back