bicycle grease

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White grease here too.

I read this on bikeforums yesterday. This guy is saying hi-temp automotive grease is the ticket for coaster hubs. I'll try this on my next coaster tear down. I'm always smoking coaster brakes.

n4zou said:
Open up the coaster hub and clean out all the grease even if it's new. The grease they use is not rated for high temperatures and will burn off destroying the hub when using the brake on steep descents. Repack the hub with automotive synthetic wheel bearing grease for use with disk brake hubs. It should be red in color. High temperatures do not affect this grease and your coaster brake will start working much better.
grease.jpg

Larry said:
White grease here too.

I read this on bikeforums yesterday. This guy is saying hi-temp automotive grease is the ticket for coaster hubs. I'll try this on my next coaster tear down. I'm always smoking coaster brakes.

n4zou said:
Open up the coaster hub and clean out all the grease even if it's new. The grease they use is not rated for high temperatures and will burn off destroying the hub when using the brake on steep descents. Repack the hub with automotive synthetic wheel bearing grease for use with disk brake hubs. It should be red in color. High temperatures do not affect this grease and your coaster brake will start working much better.
grease.jpg

just don't use it on the bearings...too thick (in my opinion)...i've tried it!

I use the hi-temp automotive grease because of the high temps in summer and it really doesn't get that cold [ iff it does it's not that long] in So Cal so it'll bet on where u live 8)

Guys,

Just bought some Phil Wood waterproof and some Pedros Syn Grease. Looks like most of this post has to do with greasing the coaster hub.

My question is this: How much grease should I use on the head tube bearings, etc. and the crank bearings, etc. when I put the bike back together. Guy at the LBS was saying to fill the whole space, but that seems a little excessive to me and I don't think he was willing to give out too much free advice. Please help me Rat Rod brethen, as I hold you personally responsible for making it look so easy, I tried on my own.

Note: I checked XD's blog and it looks like he just coated the bearings.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Rich

I use car wheel berring grease, I got this other water proof, It says boat trailer axle grease.. I use that on my mudd boggers. I also got this super dooper thick stuff too.

whats wrong with thick grease on berrings, It gets thinner when it gets hot..

I use this automotive wheel bearing grease I've had around forever. Kendall Super Blu, I think it's called. I actually just cleaned and repacked the headset of this old Mongoose I found (1981 if you know about stuff like that). Man, that was weird... the headset, bb, and rear wheel were all kinda tight when I got it last week, so when I finally got started taking stuff apart, the grease was actually this nasty tarry black sticky stuff. Headset is as far as I've gotten, BB is next, dunno if I have the stones to attack the rear (coaster) hub...

--rick

I use automotive bearing grease and lots of it! The worst thing for bearings is water ,so if the grease is taking up as much room as possible it's unlikely the water will get in there...make sense? It's also ALOT cheaper than the high tech bike grease.

i thinks bearings will change in the future with ceramics. The headset bearing is overdesigned by using bearings meant to spin at high speed instead of rocking back and forth as they do. This guy has a design for ceramic slide bearings that looks simple and functional. And no grease

http://www.bmeres.com/headsets.htm

Look at some of his other stuff, very creative

armandgil said:
I use automotive bearing grease and lots of it! The worst thing for bearings is water ,so if the grease is taking up as much room as possible it's unlikely the water will get in there...make sense? It's also ALOT cheaper than the high tech bike grease.

I got taken for $7.99USD for the Phil Wood grease and $9.99 for the Pedro's synthetic. That's why I'm curious about the quantity recommended. Won't take long to use a tube filling a head tube with grease. Same goes for the crank. That, and the fact that the whole bike frame will be filled with grease if I take it apart a couple times and repack each time...

Back