Bicycle license plates

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was and "old skool" thing.. I kno New York and New Jersey it is not required..or even done anymore.

you mena a euro plate?
attachment.php

I didn't know that it was required. My father's childhood bike has a town issued liscence plate as identification in case of theft. I think (haven't seen it for months) the Sturmey hub is dated 62.

Used to be required and maybe still in some cities. I have 2 that came on bikes that I purchased.
0407081729.jpg

0407081729a.jpg

gravediggerjason said:
hmm inspiration... i bet a euro plate would make a really cool fender.... wonder where i could find one

*wants to say something, but doesn't* :mrgreen:

What you could perhaps find are so-called 'moped' plates. We had those little insurance tags up to '05 I think, and switched to proper license plates with insurance papers for mopeds after that. They are the perfect size to put on a bike, about 4 by 4 inch...

DSC_1735.JPG

Love reading all these replies about an aspect of bicycle history. Would be a good subject for a book, there must be thousands of plates that still exist. http://www.flickr.com/search/?page=2&q= ... t=3&page=3 that link is page 3 of a list, if you click on page 4 there is a Calgary 1982-1983 which was their last issue plate.

My hometown of Ridgewood, NJ, used the metal plates thru 1978. They were registered at the Police Dept. My 1st city license was '79, when it became a decal. Plenty of vintage plates on ebay! Apparently, Johnstown, PA made a ridiculous amount of them, as they show up most frequently!! ~Adam

Back