Bicycle Photography

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting a thread to discuss bicycle photography. A place to ask questions and learn new tricks. I am very much a beginner and believe I am at the start of a huge learning curve. That said don’t consider this initial post professional advice.

I will start it off describing the equipment in my camera bag, my current technique, and then some sample photos.

My Camera Bag:
Camera- Canon EOS 60D
Lens- EFS mount 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6
Lens- EFS mount 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5
Lens- EF mount 50mm 1:1.4
Collapsible mono-pod

My camera has a APS—C sensor. This is smaller than a full frame sensor which means if I use an EF mount lens don’t get the full focal length. (edit: maybe I should say, I get increased focal length? Confusing). The formula is multiply by 1.6. For example my 50mm EF lens is in practice a 80mm lens. 50 x 1.6 = 80. This does not apply to my EFS lenses.

Sorry that was pretty nerdy.

My 50mm is the highest quality lens in my bag. However, I am currently using the 18-135 the most. 2 reasons. 1- my technique involves zooming in as much as possible (135mm) 2- it has Image Stabilization and my 50mm does not.

OK. Still pretty nerdy. But seems kind of important to me.

My technique:

I found a lake about 2 miles from the house that I can set the bike on a berm (higher ground than I am standing) with lake in background. The distant background helps eliminate distractions.

I zoom into 135mm and walk backwards until the bicycle is in the frame. I also increase the aperture as much as possible to blur the background. I was having real difficulty holding the camera still which is why I preferred the lens with image stabilization. I recently bought a monopod which helps. What I am still trying to figure out is a way to adjust the settings to increase the shutter speed. That should also help with my inability to hold camera still. At least that’s what my beginner brain thinks. Do I increase the ISO for this?

I currently do not do any post processing. I do not have photoshop. Is there any good freeware software? GIMP?

Anyone have thoughts or experience with image stabilization?

Sample photos of my current technique:

A_IMG_6148.jpeg
9B677603-7D8D-4DE5-A44E-CFE172C8B9F4.jpeg
2FB6159C-4C4B-4C76-BF35-E1EC4DF0914F.jpeg

GT2.jpeg

Last edited:
I very much enjoy photography. In college, there were several courses as part of my design program. I learned to use film and developed it myself the darkroom. I kinda got lost in the switch to digital, now everything is done using my phone. I can occasionally get a decent image, but my technique has mainly been replaced by volume. I take a whole pile of pictures and hope that maybe one will turn out.
IMG_20240531_110357814.jpg
IMG_20240531_110911388.jpg

I try to get it all done with the camera, not much post processing beyond cropping, which is ironic considering that was my actual job as graphic designer. I also like to include the background, it's often as much of, if not more of the image than the bike
IMG_20240531_114358792.jpg

IMG_20240531_114410669.jpg

^I could improve both of those with a few tweaks, it bothers me that the horizon isn't horizontal, and that clump of leaves at the top right is a distraction I don't enjoy

I really like to use a grid. It helps immensely. And learn from the master's. Study images to understand images and how they work, what makes them pleasing
Screen-Shot-2021-02-28-at-3.31.11-PM.jpg
Rules-of-Shot-Composition-Rule-of-Thirds-Grid-min.jpg~2.jpg

Citizen Kane, Hitchcock keeping it classic with the rule of thirds
11-tilt-suspicion~2.jpg
but Alfred wasn't afraid to give it a good twist for effect.
Kubrick was obsessive about grids, liked to shoot from a lower perspective, which really works well for bikes
maxresdefault.jpg
images (1).jpeg
images (2).jpeg

Whoops, I've gone too far, haven't I? This concludes the Saturday morning lecture

I am 99% of the time just shooting and editing with my iPhone. Currently running a 14 pro and occasionally I utilize a gimbal or tripod mount

Most of the shooting tips I utilize are neatly summed up HERE

Portrait mode when applicable
Change the F value
Exposure ruins many a great photo

And then I edit with various apps for vibrancy and saturation

I just shoot post then say hey that looks good sometimes I win sometimes I loose. If Matti and I are out there's a good chance that he's explaining how to probably shoot a bike and I'm somewhere in his shot taking a wiz
*in bare feet

I've always loved drafting, architecture,
and all facets of graphic design. Consequently, composition and perspective play a huge roll in my photos. I too shoot everything on my phone (samsung galaxy s8), then tweak and adjust in post. A favorite app of mine (for editing) is Snapseed.

20190120_112548-01.jpeg

20190416_171513-01.jpeg

20190806_203209-01.jpeg

20190806_201016-01.jpeg

20230702_154648.jpg

20230730_235549-01.jpeg

20230729_205755-01.jpeg

20230731_003829-01-01.jpeg

20230731_002319-02.jpeg

Yah - I'll play.

I own a Design business and have been a freelance photographer and videographer for the past 25 years.
My clients include motorcycle magazines and automotive businesses - and others.
Accordingly I have a range of pro cameras and kit - a mix of Nikon mirrorless and Canon video bodies - and a full array of glass to suit.
Hardware and software too. Adobe creative suite et al.

My current favourite combo is the Nikon Z9 with 135mm f1.8 Plena lens. Top of the range camera kit.

UNIT copy.jpg

But you get what you pay for. This is pretty-much straight out of the camera, hand held at night.

eg.jpg

I enjoy shooting my bikes purely for recreation and sharing.

bikes7.jpg

eg2.jpg

I also use a Nikon Z7 with 24 and 50mm prime lenses because it's relatively compact.

bikes3.jpg

And then sometimes I just use a Go Pro 10, which is quite a good landscape camera - and very easy to carry.

msbay3.jpg

I have an 11 Pro too - and I do use it for technical shots, and convenience - but it's my least preferred option and produces the lowest quality images in my arsenal.

IMG_9591.jpg

I’ll post some of my tips and tricks shortly.

Professionally I got both of the cover shots on last moth's Heavy Duty magazine.

cover copy 11.jpg

This is my Flickr archive

Last edited:
Ive found when photographing a bicycle theres two things I find of utmost importance,
1... handle bar background,
2.... the position of the crank n pedal,
if ya can get those right then the pics a standout even with a bit of blur!
ive seen so many pics of bikes and the entire bike pic is good but then the grips n bars can make it look funny if things like trees, and and ...well if anything is behind the bike, I always try to get my pics with that in mind,
With the crank n pedals it amazes me to see how many dont pay attention to this, you can have a few pics of the same bike but it annoys me that either 1 pedal is hidden from view or partially obscured, they can even get lost in chain guards or ,depending on your angle of view, just lost in cammo with other parts of the bike, Remembering taking a pic of the bike is of importance here and not what it actually looks like or its color scheme!
ive taken several pics of my bikes only to go back outside and have to move the cranks, sometimes only moving them only 1/8th of a turn just to get it in the right spot to make me happy,
And thats the bottom line, if you like it then others should too! I also am with matti and Ingola and now take several pics and trim them on the i15 ,
Thats what I got now and i phone 15 and yes its camera is fantastic but still has nothing on my old Huawai p30, now that camera on that phone was the bomb..... well to me anyway!

in this pic I got it right .....well the cranks is in the right place to show what im on about but look at the pedal on the right hand side, I should of flipped that to lye straight and that right side hand grip is sorta lost in the kids old swing set, not completely lost but if i'd taken the pic some place else it wouldnt of had that tyre in behind it.
PXL_20231119_213502875.jpg

in this pic the bars are a bit lost in the contrast of the grass and concrete and the right side grip is lost with the bikes front tire behind it, Also i should have moved the crank forwards about 2 inchs , that would of made this pic better
Yes these are nit picky things but ive found that when I take pics of my bikes those are the two main things I try to pay attention too!.
PXL_20220901_025251100.jpg

Any tricks on removing glare from the tubes? I try to go out on overcast days and always wing up with glare on the top tube. Even if I am in the shade. View attachment 268161
It is always going to be a problem when the frame colour kind of reflects and matches the sky. Part of the trick is to position the bike well that the position distracts from any any unwanted reflection.

Back