big box store bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5speed said:
any bike other than a big box store bike is overkill,there now i said it

Overkill ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

images

5speed said:

Overkill how? Are you saying a 29er from Walmart is good enough for an off road race as a $2k 29er from your LBS?

I challenge you to ride a newer Trek mountain bike with suspension fork, trigger shifters, and disk brakes then get back on a Next Wally world bike. If you can't feel a HUGE difference there's something wrong. I have ridden both and I miss my Trek, Next doesn't even compare.

Ride a Schwinn then ride a Huffy Cranbrook
Ride a Sunday Funday then ride a Mongoose
It would be the same as test driving a Corvette then buying a Smart car. :lol:

I have some of both, the bike shop bikes definitely have more quality built-in. They both serve a purpose.

5speed said:

Well I would guess that anyone here that is 30 and older probably grew up with department store (big box store) bikes. That was then and this is now! Todays world is full of choices and the day of being made over seas being an issue is over, Big Box or ??. (dead horse) The best bike YOU can buy is the bike you like :!: :D

Just to put this in perspective take these two cars, they both get you from A to B, they both have no back seat, They are both selling for $11,500. Which would you choose to drive? On the one hand you have economy, cheap insurance, easy parking, plastic deathtrap. On the other hand you have German engineering, Porsche power, flashy looks, and a drop top.

Will they both work? Sure
Are they the same? Not by a long shot
Is it overkill? Maybe but it's fun.

$11,500
3F23Nd3Hd5Id5Ee5Fdd4i4dc5fd7beb4c133b.jpg

$11,500
3Md3N13Ha5L65Fd5H9d4194bbe3b17ef31274.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Just to put this in perspective take these two cars, they both get you from A to B, they both have no back seat, They are both selling for $11,500. Which would you choose to drive? On the one hand you have economy, cheap insurance, easy parking, plastic deathtrap. On the other hand you have German engineering, Porsche power, flashy looks, and a drop top.

Will they both work? Sure
Are they the same? Not by a long shot
Is it overkill? Maybe but it's fun.

$11,500
3F23Nd3Hd5Id5Ee5Fdd4i4dc5fd7beb4c133b.jpg

$11,500
3Md3N13Ha5L65Fd5H9d4194bbe3b17ef31274.jpg

Smarts pass with all the highest crash test standards, and they are ALSO German engineering.

I drive one, so I'm a bit sensitive when facts are wrong. It's also a convertible, so I have the "drop top" comment covered. :)

i couldn't afford maintenance on an $11,500 porsche.

however, on my bogboxbike, i did the maintenance myself, and it was pretty cheap.

deven_science said:
Smarts pass with all the highest crash test standards, and they are ALSO German engineering.

I drive one, so I'm a bit sensitive when facts are wrong. It's also a convertible, so I have the "drop top" comment covered. :)

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you if I did, I just don't view the smart car as a car, to me it's still in the crossover category between golf cart and compact car. I guess I'm old fashioned but if I am in anything smaller than a VW Golf I get nervous. And going by the crash footage I have seen on youtube you'd be a double amputee in a smart car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGtWc4m8Z2E

Rat Rod said:
I'm not sure I even understand the purpose of this post. :?
What's your weather like? 70 and sunny? :lol:

Sorry wrong thread :oops:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Rat Rod said:
I'm not sure I even understand the purpose of this post. :?
Me either? :? What's the author trying to say? :|

I think it is a "They both serve a purpose" thing.

This brings up a question i have asked dozens of people and always get the same answer "I dont know"

Craigslist is made up of 90 percent high dollar very expensive bikes and very few Walmart bikes. It takes me weeks and sometimes months to sell a bike for 25.00 and CL is full of 1000.00 or more bikes all the time. If you cant sell one for 25 bucks who in their right mind is gonna spend a grand or more. Another thing in my area you almost NEVER see anyone riding a bike.

So back to the question. Who buys them.

People who love high dollar bike store bicycles will never understand cheap, department store bikes.

People who love cheap department store bikes will never understand high end bike store bikes.

Many folks here enjoy both and that's why we tend to have a good time and don't spend much energy worrying about it. :wink:

Back