Big guy bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one to mess about with!
Get yourself a setback seatpost and you will get a little more stretch without overcentering the saddle (which then overcomes the clamp and twists backwards) and it becomes more like that foot forward of the Electras. Maybe shorten up the grip end of the bars so the grips just fit before the bend starts and it wont seem like the grips are in your lap (unless you like them there!), or think about a bar swap to something more like the Western Flyers had (see a Wald 872 bar, 7/8 with a 1" clamp area). Im going to bet you like those big wheels.

Thanks for all the info! I am planning to make up a laid-back seat post. I am geting the one for my Del Sol machined right now. I think I will put a different set of bars on it. They are a bit long & 1" in diameter. I wanted to swap out the grips as well, but couldn't find any cool 1" ones. I'll update as I change it up a bit. I don't plan to do much to this one. Trying to save my $$$ for the Colson :wink:

Hello GameBent.
Your Ghost. is very nice.
Can you tell me the name and price of your big pedals please ?...
I have already been talking with you on E.B.F.
zouc. :wink:

I am 6 1 and about 276 ...I love the old bikes... I had a 29'er ..but gave it to a very tall beautiful redhead. I love the older bikes..
balloners.. and pre war stuff... the 55 spitfire i traded to Rat Rod .. great bike ..but I would bang my knees on the bars when
i turn ... too nice a bike to change .. my point is I use the bent seat posts.... to the rear ..to move the seat back .. and big wide
bars.. and ape hangers... this gives me more room and a different looking vintage bike..
car210.jpg

fordmike65 said:
largek9 said:
I'm also tall @ 6'5" or 5'17". First thing I do is swap seat clamp around for more room and or layed back seat post. I think if you look at anyone 6' or taller on a 26 " bike they look larger than the bike but I think with minor adjustments you can make comfortable.I ran accross a bike made by Giant bikes just a cruiser rides nice kinda pricey new I found mine used,rides nice. Besides we dont need ladders to change light bulbs! :)

I actually checked out the Simple bike by Giant at a local bike shop. I was very close to getting that or one by American Flyer. Both large framed & I believe aluminum. I really wanted something with a vintage-type frame w/fenders,so I passed. The layed back seat post is a great idea. Are they available or would I have to make one up?

The simple is a great bike. If you can get ahold of a 2012 Suede from your Giant dealer (they cancelled it for 2013) they make that in a large.
The 2013 Simple can come in a golden yellow that is AWESOME (I work at a GIant Dealer)

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead guys. Since my last post, I've modded my Del Sol with a laidback post similar to Henry's. It doesn't look all that cool, but it is comfy... :D

IMAG0919.jpg

Back