Big Red gets Sprung !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now that the build off is over and I had a little rest, I thought it was time I tackled a project/upgrade i'd been considering for months. Some of you may remember big red, my 9 foot long chopper.
chop1.jpg

I haven't been riding it as much as I liked to because the riding position was murder on my back. Having arms and legs stretched out meant you can't use your knees to absorb any bumps, so anything too large for the seat springs to take went straight up my spine.
The way the seat tube was constructed made using a suspension post impossible, so I had to go the hard route; time to chop up the frame! :shock: 8)
redmockup.jpg

As you can see, I chopped off the rear end from behind the seat to the lower frame gusset.In order to allow room for suspension travel, I cut out the rest of the seat post strut tube. I also had to pie cut the upper frame and bend it up for clearance.
redsprung2.jpg

I used a piece of 1/2 gas pipe cut to length and reamed out slightly for the pivot mount. The upper shock mount is an old seat-post clamp.
redsprung3.jpg

You would think chopping the frame would result in a shorter bike, but I had to add another 6 or 8 inches of chain to get it linked up again. :wink: A little plumbers strapping for a brake arm bracket, and time for a test ride!
The result; a much smoother ride for the old back, the actual riding position is slightly higher than before, making it easier to get power to the pedals. The seat is lower to the ground than before also, it feels like (never took any before measurements)
redsprung.jpg

I'll need to add a chain tensioner though, pedaling over a large bump resulted in a chain-derailment :oops: have to coast those bumps for now. :wink:
Rick
edit; fixed pic links

Back